ZZZZZAAAPPPPP

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Joe Passanisi

Well My Catalina 27 and I got struck by lightning. Today around 1:30pm during a thunderstorm. My boat was struck by lightning. Although I did not see it because I was below decks. I felt the juice curl my toes and a very large tingle go through my body. At the same time I lost my radio, my electronic volt meter and my depth finder. I have not had the time to check the rest of the mast wireing out yet. The strike litteraly blew the antenna of the top of the mast. Luckily I was at my mooring. I waited an hour. Thats how long it took for my feet to stop tingling and for the clouds to clear. Then vamoose I was off the boat and on shore. I called my insurance company and they want the boat hauled in the moorning. to check for damage. I guess the through hull fittings sometimes blow out. I have no leaks as of 3pm today. Has this happened to anyone else and if so. what should I have the yard check for during the inspection tommorrow. The real bummer is. i am on vacation and I had plans. Oh well I am alive anyway and my boat is still floating. Another boater lost his boat today (SANK)due to a lightning strike in NH. I did notice a very rotten smell comming from my battery bank. The voltage in the bank was 12.2 volts before the strike. I checked just after and they are reading 10.5 volts. ???????? Thanks for your input, Joe Passanisi (Uncle Fester)

S

sloopercat

My '27 also

About a year ago, mine was hit when I was not on it. I noticed that the shore power cord was literally blown up. Must have came through the shore power system, the cord was only laying on the bow, not plugged in. Knocked out the radio, stereo, depth. It was not a direct hit as the antenna was undamaged. Blew a small chunk out of the keel. Boats around me had various electonic damage also. Have the throughulls and waterline looked at carefully. Also check the rigging, may have damage at the fittings or chainplates. Insist that a surveyor look it over before you accept payment. Once you sign the check, there is no going back for concealed damage. Insurance should pay for surveyor, it is in their and your best interest to have it inspected. Believe me this is something I never wanted to be an expert in.

B

Brad Williams

In addition to the electronics...

A friend's boat was hit several years ago. There were literally a thousand pin sized holes through his hull, just at water line. Needless to say, the boat was totaled. electronics in the OB was destroyed also. Conversely, a different friend's 25 was hit two days ago. It seems to have done nothing but chop off the windex and blow out the depth/speed indicators (in addition to scaring the gageebers out of everyone on board). Best of luck, Brad

C

Chad Wainwright

Friends boat

Joe, A friends C-27 was struck on it's mooring early this season. Currently the boat has been surveyed twice and may end up getting totalled. This is a very nice boat(like new) I am unsure of the year. The damage included: A hole just above the water line approx 1 1/2 inch in diameter. Crazing in the gel coat along the water line. A chunk of the keel blown off. Multiple small specks of paint blown off the keel. A chunk of the rudder blown off with unknown damage to internal mechanisms. All electronics were fried, allong with mast lights and wiring. At this time it was unknown if structural damage existed. I would recomend pulling the boat for closer inspection and a survey. It would be preferable to use an independent surveyer not one from the insurance company. Good Luck, chad

B

Bob Fischer

lightning strike

When my boat was hit, it exited by way of the bow sprit bob stay, this was the closest metal surface to the water. The sprit and assiciated hardware had to be replaced.

S

Steve

2 more stories

I am aware of two other lightning strikes on boats in our area. In the late 1980's lightning struck an S2 7.9m at mooring. If I recall right, the mast became welded to the upper stay which in turn was welded to the chain plate at t he deck. A hole that resembled a what a shotgun would do to a fiberglass hull was in the side just at the waterline. The boat was pulled immediately before it could sink. In another, lightning struck a Hunter 26.5 and blew the electronics and put small holes in the hull. (damage was not nearly as bad as the earlier). I agree with an earlier post. Have the boat pulled and have an independant surveyor go over the boat. Do not rely on the surveyor the insurance company may call in. Good luck,

Status
Not open for further replies.