Zodiac rotted transom

Jun 16, 2011
Catalina 350 Rock hall
Hello all I have a 2004 zodiac 311 activ v, yesterday I was poking around and found bottom corner if transom plywood rotted. I have decided to make a new one but I have read about gluing and there are many different thoughts on the matter 3m 5200, zodiac specific glue etc. I plan to make the new transom from either PVC sheet or plywood epoxied over. The process looks straight forward but just unsure what glue to use??

Mar 22, 2004
Hunter 30 Vero Beach
I have an old Achilles that had the same problem. I removed the old one using a heat gun and a scraper being real careful not to cut into the fabric of the boat. I cleaned everything up with a Dremmel tool on a slow speed with a small drum sander on it. After getting off all of the old wood and glue residue, I cleaned everything with MEK. I used a glue specific for inflatable boats and made my transom out of marine plywood. I wasn't sure if the glue would stick to epoxied plywood so I sealed the plywood with epoxy about 1/8" past the edge of the boat fabric. I glued everything according to the instructions then let everything dry. I coated the transom with 6 coats of varnish and haven't done anything to it since 2007. it still looks great and the seams are holding tight. Hope this helps.

Mark48

Mar 1, 2008
Hunter 34 Milwaukee
Thanks for the post, while my Achilles is still holding up I expect to have the issue in the future.