Zodiac moving mfg to China

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
Defender Marine says Zodiac moving manufacturing from France to China.
some French models still available with welded seems and hardware.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Defender Marine says Zodiac moving manufacturing from France to China.
some French models still available with welded seems and hardware.
I take it by implication that they are not simply moving production but will no longer utilize the same production methods and hardware?

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
I take it by implication that they are not simply moving production but will no longer utilize the same production methods and hardware?
I didn't imply anything. I quoted Defender.
But they did say vs "partially welded".

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
I didn't imply anything. I quoted Defender.
But they did say vs "partially welded".
Sorry. Wasn't intended to be a jab. Just a question. They might be doing the same; they might be changing a lot and outsourcing the whole thing to some other constructor.

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
Sorry. Wasn't intended to be a jab. Just a question. They might be doing the same; they might be changing a lot and outsourcing the whole thing to some other constructor.
My fault for being vague.
Anyway I copied Defenders text here:
NOTE: With the majority of Zodiac's small inflatable boat production moving to China, this model is among the last of the French-built boats.

Some of the features unique to the French built models include:

• Fully welded seams [versus partially welded]
  • Welded transom cuffs with a proprietary thermoweld-riveted transom attachment
  • Welded attachments (rubstrake, d-rings, oarlock base, etc)
  • The most reliable and easiest-to-replace inflation valves in the industry.
Factory Warranty Begins on Date of Purchase.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Well, that certainly sounds a lot like they are outsourcing to one of the manufacturers there who likely sell under lots of labels and have adapted to their production methods.

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
Yep. It's too bad. I mean, wasn't Zodiac profitable? Especially with their military and law enforcement contracts, etc.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Zodiac still builds boats in France, AND in South Carolina. They shifted production of the boats purchased by price-driven buyers to China.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Well some bicycle and TV manufacturers put out their brand name models but of lesser quality to giant retailers for those less discerning customers seeking lower prices. It might be that they could be going that route. At first the manufacturers were hesitant that they could damage their brand, but have since realized that most of these customers have not even realized that they are getting items of inferior overall performance.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
I'm on the fence about going ahead and buying a French made Zodiac w/ air floor for $999. I have a 1995ish Zodiac that was sold at Costco, I paid $400 (used, last year) for it. I has a wood floor but overall in great shape, especially after I repaired a few small things and re-glued the entire floor. I can get at least 10 more years out of it. Did anyone notice the small Mercury w/ air floor on the Defender website for $450?