Zodiac and Outboard Storage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 9, 2004
Morgan-Catalina 41 Classic Port Clinton, Ohio
Well I got a great deal on a 10' Zodiac and a Merc 9.9. Underway where to put the outboard? Seems like the back rail is not sturdy enough for this motor? The Zodiac has a weaver transom mount davit system. Anyone have any experience with this? underway if things get too rough to tow?

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 376 Wickford, RI
2 or 4 cycle?

Don't know what type of boat you have, however the rear rail on our 376 isn't strong enough for our 4 cycle 9.9 Merc. At 115 lbs it is way too much weight, even with a crane. We ended up buying a 3.3. Anyone want to buy a 9.9? RREgge

Jun 1, 2004
Hunter Vision 32 Lake Lanier
I've had a Weaver system for . . .

over 10 years now and am very happy with it. Its a great way to stow your dingy on the boat, and greatly stabilizes the dingy while mounting and unmounting the motor. With a walk thru transom, its particularly easy to use. However, my first sailing trip (when I had my boat on the Chesapeake) after installing it was almost a disaster. The wind was up and I took off on a weekend trip with the dingy on the snap davits. As soon as I heeled over the rear tube extension on my dingy dug into the water and almost tore it off the boat. I was able to round up and let the dingy down into towing position before doing any real damage, but I never travel with the dingy in the up position. I've towed my dingy a bunch in all kinds of conditions and have never had a problem. When its rough out, I pull the nose of the dingy right up against the stearn of the boat with the bridle lines leading over the transom, around two of the push-pit supports, and tied off on the stearn cleats. This gets the nose high, with only the stearn tubes of the dingy in the water. It seems to tow in bad conditions very well like this. I do have two tow lines. One is the bridle line, lead from D-rings on both sides of the dingy. I added a second D-ring to the nose of the dingy. The two lines gives me much more security whenever I pull the dingy.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 28 Boothbay
3.3 is just right!

The 3.3hp is a great choice. I have a 9 foot inflatable with a Merc 3.3hp which seems to be perfect. It is a two stroke model that only weighs 28lbs which is managable with one hand.

P

Patrick

My rail works ok

But I have a 37.5 so it may be different. I have an Avon 3.10 RIB with an 18 HP Tohatsu. I use a folding davit to lift the OB up and it is a job for one person but not too bad. The folding davit is aluminum and the first time I took it off, I dropped the lower section into 20 feet of water. After recovering it by diving, I used a can of urethane foam to make it so it won't sink if that happens again. So far it hasn't. The davit is rarely removed. This idea has always intrigued me - http://www.dinghy-tow.com/

Sep 24, 1999
Hunter H46LE Sausalito
check with weaver

I looked into this system a few years ago, but was dissuaded my Weaver themselves. They do not recommend their inflatable davit system for use with sailboats.

Jun 3, 2004
BC 37 Back Creek, Annapolis
About the Merc 3.3...

Quest and Russell: what kind of loads are you carrying in your dinghies that the Merc 3.3s are pushing? In an effort to simplify when it comes to running our boat, I too want to downsize the outboard now that it's time to replace it . They are a total pain to lift and store. We currently have 5hp Merc on a 10' inflatable.

Status
Not open for further replies.