Zincs

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Clay

Where do I get a zinc for my prop shaft ? I recall that it screws into the end of the shaft - Is it a brand or a size or a standard thing ?? I have no clue and need to put one on before it's launched. This is a 1994 29.5 we're talking about.

M

mark schaefer

any marine store

look up your shaft size and buy it..simple as that..or if you have an end cap zinc..buy that..any diver can install when cleaning your bottum...zincs cost about ten dollars

M

Marc Honey

28.5 info.?

Since Clay brought this up, does anyone know if my 1987 28.5 has any zinc protection? Sounds stupid, but I've been under mine several times and have seen no indication of zincs anywhere.

M

Mark Roskin

Prop zinc

You need a standard 1" shaft zinc (egg shaped). Easy installation on the shaft forward of the prop. Available at any marine store.

J

Jim O'Brien

to Mark Honey

You should check before you rot your prop off!

M

Marc Honey

To Jim O'Brien

My 28.5 is in fresh water,it's used 2-3 times per WEEK minimum, 12 months per year, has an onboard 30 amp charger that keeps 2 battery banks fresh, and the prop is FAR from "rotting" off. I get under my boat regularly w/scuba to clean the bottom. My inquiry was due to the fact that I've never noticed zincs anywhere and my understanding is that if you keep a charger going "full time" it tends to cause problems.

J

Jim Watts

prop shaft

My '87 28.5 has a 1" egg shaped zinc on the prop shaft that is held in place with 4 allen head cap screws. I put on two of the "eggs". I noticed while looking at the bottom months later that one was gone. Glad I used two.

Status
Not open for further replies.