Zincs on a Hunter 36

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2005
Hunter 41DS Brownsville, WA
We have a 2006 Hunter 36 with a Max-Prop. Our diver recommends a zinc at the end of the prop shaft and two or three on the prop shaft itself. The large marine service center in Seattle, CSR Marine, recommends no more than one on the prop shaft plus the end. They feel one can have too many zincs. I'm not sure what happens if you do have more than 2.

Any comments?

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
If you need more than two, you have bigger problems which should be addressed directly rather than adding zinc. One on the shaft and definitely one on the MaxProp (which is essential) should be all that is necessary.
Make sure the MaxProp zinc is the newer design with 6 mounting screws - the older 3 screw version is prone to falling off prematurely.

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
we run 2 on the prop shaft plus the one on the autoprop. we've been in marinas where problems on other boats would eat one shaft zinc in weeks-the second is good insurance

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Depends

I had two on my Prop shaft and one on the end of my Flex O Fold when I was up in NY,the 42 Saber next to me told me his Zincs were being eating away to all most nothing was left.
I did not have such a problem with my Zincs at all they were almost like new when checking at haul out but put new ones any way,got to Florida and they were looking OK at haul out,gave her a new bottom paint, two new Zincs on the shaft and the Flex O Fold was like new and did not change it.
At the Marina in Florida a diver told me I should have him change the Zincs after only 6 months in the Florida Water,I did a dive to check the zincs which looked very good, I was surprised that every thing look so good with minor growth on the prop and slim on the hull.
I think if there would be any zincs being eaten in a new marina the two on the shaft would help keep the prop zincs in good shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.