Zincs for keel

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2012
Catalina 22 Salt Spring Island
I just bought a 1985 Catalina 22. I'm taking it out of the water to power wash and bottom paint. It's been in a lake for the last number of years and I will be sailing it on the salt water. I will need to add zincs. I have a fixed keel. Does anyone know where the zincs are to be located?

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
Brad, I generally see them below, and aft of the swing pin, at about a 45 degree angle from the pin itself. Avoiding it going up in the keel trunk is kind of the idea. But unless you intend to put it on underwater, with scuba tanks, that's not likely to happen anyway.
I'm extremely reluctant to refer anybody to this website for a variety of reasons, but Chip Ahoys website gives some fairly clear pictures of this as I recall.

May 3, 2012
Catalina 22 Salt Spring Island
Thanks Chris. Note I have a fixed fin keel. I'm going to put on the zincs when it's on a trailer out of the water. just wondering if there is a recommended place for them.

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
Well, snot..I didn't even notice until you said it, that your keel was fixed, sorry mate.
Don't know about the 22' in particular, but the boats on the hill here generally put them near the very bottom, at the very rear for some reason. Don't know if that's merely convenience, or the "optimum" place. These are larger boats by the way. Mine has a galvanic isolator, I sorta like that idea, but it may not be in line for the 22, this another money pit that I have..

Status
Not open for further replies.