Zinc's are gone again

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rick Reiland

I have put (2) zincs on the shaft each season for the past 2 years. They are completely gone when the boat is hauled. Is DC current leakage the problem? How do solve the problem???? Thanks!!

P

Peggie Hall/HeadMistress

Problem may not be on your boat

There's definitely a problem with stray current...'cuz zincs should not disappear in a single season...or even two seasons. Others will tell you what to check on your own boat...but if you keep the boat in a slip, there's a good chance that stray current from the dock--including your own shore power connection--could be in the water (which is why no one should ever dive on a boat bottom in the slip or go swimming in a marina), or it could be from another boat. Find out whether others are having the same problem...and if they are, talk to your marina manager. Stray current is a much more serious problem than just melting zincs...it's dangerous!

T

Tom M.

electrolisis

The electrolosis you're experiencing can be generated from several sources, #1: dock power console may have a ground wire rusted away, and grounding into the water, #2: the boats on either side of you in your marina may have electrical grounding problems and are exhuming electrical in the water, #3: your own boat may be expelling electrical current, in each case, if you're not carefull, Your prop and shaft and thru hull fittings etc: will start to disappear!!!, if you can't find the problem, move your boat, to another slip, if you can't, go buy a large block of zinc about 5 lbs, drill a hole in it add some yacht braid and submerge it behind your stern, and tie it off on your boat, this way the electrolosis will attack the block and not your tiny little shaft zincs.

Aug 11, 2006
Hunter H260 Traverse City
Stray current in Marinas

You have the same problem as many marinas, who usually could care less. Do what Tom suggests immediately! Instead of tying a rope, I solder a #14 copper wire to the zinc block which sits in the water, and cover the connection with silicone. I connect the other end with a crimped ring connector to a bolt on the shift/throttle assembly passing the wire through the lazarette while at the slip. That zinc get totally destroyed taking some the wear from the prop shaft collar zinc, the teardrop zincs on my keel, and the engine zinc, which now all last longer then they used to.

P

Peggie Hall/HeadMistress

Marinas BETTER care, George!

Part of the terms of their leases with the state include maintaining to safety standards...and stray current and bad wiring on the docks is definitely a safety issue--whether it originates on the dock or with a boat in the marina. So if you can't get a marina manager to care, a call to the DNR, Corps of Engineers or whichever agency leases the property to 'em WILL get their attention.

R

Russell

Make sure to tighten them down

I had the same problem until I watched someone else tighten zincs on a prop shaft. Tighten, then hit the zincs with a "big" hammer, then repeat until you can't tighten them anymore. Russell

B

Bryce Grefe

zinc's

You might try using a Godfrey zinc. Substantially better quality and also costs. Bryce S/V Spellbinder H410

A

Alex

few steps..

.. you should take; Don't let AC power on when not in use ; try to have your neighbours do the same.Check if your neighbour boats have proper zincs too; they may have eatten your zinc instead. Check with marina authority their pontons grounding system . Till you have found the problem , keep replacing them as often as needed , otherwise you propeller and other underwater metal units ( S drive if you have one) can be seriously damaged.

R

Russ "Segue"

stray current

Rick, Thanks for posting this question, I have been experiencing the very same problem. Since we share the same marina, the responses pertaining to stray current are very interesting. This is something we should probably look into. As far as marina management not caring... they couldn't mean our marina...eh Rick? p.s. I noticed you are in, welcome back & see you in the Ha-bah

Aug 11, 2006
Hunter H260 Traverse City
Who is the "DNR" Peggie?

Our marina (as all marinas in Marina del Rey) is leased from County Government at is on county and not city land. The lessors have varied from Arab to Korean financial interests, but the marina seems to be in a constant state of receivership regardless of who administers it. Does the Army Corps of Engineers have jurisdiction?

P

Peggie Hall/HeadMistress

Regulatory agency varies...

Find out who issues permits for things like moorings and docks...that's who has jurisdiction and that'll be who leases land and water space to marinas.

Status
Not open for further replies.