yse12

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Barry

I have a terrible deisel smell in the cabin. Does anyone have the same problem , and how to best get rid of it? I have a 1975 H30. We love it but not the smell. Me the wife and two teens sail the Chesapeake Bay.

B

Bryan

Bilge clean?

I had some of the same problem. Make sure you have no deisel leaks and you bilge is completely cleaned. When I bought my boat last year ('88 35) I don't think anyone had really cleaned the bilge in years. I was full of oily guck in the back recesses. After I cleaned it all out it was much better smelling. Little bilge cleaner helps too.

J

Jay Hill

Until you get it cleaned...

...you can put a Stick-Up on the bottom side of all the cabin sole panels. It absorbs a lot of odor. The problem with using this is it will probably delay the actual bilge cleaning operation as you might say "Oh that's much better" and never deal with the actual problem. Not a good idea. I agree that you should DEFINITELY check for leaks and clean all bilge compartments. The Stick-Ups just make the job more bearable.

P

Peggie Hall/Head Mistress

Clean the bilge is good advice

But don't just dump some bilge cleaner and/or bleach in it and call it done... Would you clean a dirty bathtub by throwing some tub and tile cleaner into the dirty bathwater and then leave it there? Would you skip the rinse cycle when you run the clothes washer? Of course not...but it's amazing how many people think that's the way to clean a bilge. Unless you thoroughly rinse it out, all you've done is emulsify the dirt and slime--and maybe killed off enough bacteria to knock odor down for a little while...but it's all still in there...ychhh!! A really good detergent bilge cleaner, such as B.C. (available from the online store right here), not only will emulsify any remaining diesel in your bilge, but it will also break loose and clean out all the critters, dirt, slime etc. Rinse very thoroughly...then leave all hatches open so that plenty of fresh air can circulate through the bilge to dry it out completely. Unless you have a leak, that should cure your problem.

W

Warren Feldstein

Problem twice fixed

The first problem was caused by sloppy marina work. When they changed fuel filters, they dumped enough into the bilge to create the smell. The second came about when we bought a used CS36 Merlin. The fuel vent line was not connected to the vent fitting. Accordingly, the line vented into the boat. Also, we understand that some diesel found its way into the boat some years before we bought her. To get rid of the fuel in the bilge, we used bilge cleaner, we scrubbed, we used JOY and we added a tremendous amount of water to reach all of the hard to get places. Eventually we won. However, clothes and other things brought home from the boat still share the diesel smell.

B

Bryan

Clean = elbow grease

Peggy and Warren are right. I didn't mean to imply you can just dump a little bilge cleaner and expect anything to happen. A little bilge cleaner helps AFTER you have it otherwise cleaned it out spotless. It took me an entire afternoon with scotchbright pads, rolls of paper towels, and tons of soap and water and plenty of scrubbing to get out some of the most cruddy stuff I've seen. When you are done, not only will the boat smell better but it will be safer as your bilge pump/float will be less likely to get jammed (so clean those areas too) At tip: pick up one of those two gallon wet vacs you can get at home depot for $29 bucks. They are wonderful for getting out the excess water the bilge pump can't. You need A/C power, tho'. I always spray around the boat with Lysol too. Not a long term cure, but I think it helps keep out "boat smell" a little.

P

Paul Harmina

Diesel Smell

Barry, From reading your questions it appears that you have recently acquired your 1975 H30. I would begin by checking to make sure that the fuel tank does not have a leak. It is quite old and about the vintage that starts to have problems. I would also make sure that you have good ventilation to keep the fumes venting overboard. You might also want to see about cleaning out the fuel tank as it may never have been done by the previous owner. Could be that any one of these thing sill cure the problem, or a combination of them might be needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.