YouTube slide show of our first trip!

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Really nice, the kids will remember that trip for the rest of their lives. That is how to grow future sailors. Allow me to suggest to reverse the "boom vang" so that the blocks with the stop falls at the bottom so the line does not have to swing with the boom. The vang will not need frequent adjustments but you can still have the line going to the cockpit. If the attachment point at the mast base is to low causing the blocks to strike the cabin top then you can add a rope loop to raise the blocks. A trailer boat expands exponentially the opportunities for adventures. In a few hours you could be at a distant, prime sailing destination. My 2nd advice, again if possible, is find a place to keep it in the water for at least the summer months. Nothing like getting out of work and heading for the Marina for a short evening sail. We keep an 85 Starwind 223 on a trailer and we take yearly trips of around 10 days in distant sailing venues like the Outer Banks, Chesapeake Bay, Long Island Sound, Inland Lakes etc. The big boat only goes to the Bahamas but the trailer one goes everywhere else. Enjoy.

T_Cat

Aug 8, 2014
Catalina 22 1987 New Design. 14133 "LadyHawke" Modesto CA
Gottcha. Boom Vang installed upside down.
That's why I love this forum.
"Blush"

Nov 17, 2013
Catalina 22 Scottsdale, AZ
The boom vang in the picture attached seems to show the same setup as T-Cat had on his boat - the line comes down from the boom end of the boom vang. Is that not correct?

Attachments

T_Cat

Aug 8, 2014
Catalina 22 1987 New Design. 14133 "LadyHawke" Modesto CA
Owners manual shows it reversed with the cam cleat at the mast step.....

Nov 17, 2013
Catalina 22 Scottsdale, AZ
Good to know. My boat does not currently have a boom vang and it is on the list of things to address in the near future - so appreciate the input. It does seem to make some sense having the line closer to the mast step so you can drop it into the cabin and out of the way.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
At least I know it will work either way....
No it does not, the line in the cam cleat is designed to be released or captured by a direct pull and not at an angle that at times could reach 90 degrees. None of us was born knowing this stuff and the learning curve is long and steep but its good to take pride in learning and doing things right. It is known as seamanship and when displayed well it is admired by other sailors.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
your cover picture says it all ...do that as much as you can .....they will be off and gone before you know it and fair winds....

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
Great slideshow, those smiles say it all! I'm sitting on footage I shot a week ago and need to get it edited and uploaded of my first sail of the year with my friend and his dog. So much work, so little time..........