Yesterday: we sailed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
After six months of on and off again work, exploding trailer bearings, call outs at work and other delays, I finally got to throw my boat in the water and check everything out. I had to fight my way to the lake through lane closures and road work, crappy, narrow, pot holed county back roads and a ramp I wasn't sure was long enough to safely launch without falling into the hole at the end, but I finally did it. I was pleased to see everything work like it was supposed to with the exception of my 1993 era depth finder that worked on occasion but if that's my only disappointment, I'll take it! I was able to get the main up and piddle around as the clouds rolled in and the wind dwindled but after a while I just doused the sail and put the outboard through some maneuverability and lost hat recovery drills. I started seeing rain showers to the west and north and with the forecast calling for strong afternoon thunderstorms, I decided to take my big lightning rod back to the ramp and head to the house. I'm sure looking forward to the next time:D

Attachments

Jun 20, 2011
Catalina Sloop Heron lake
ShotgunSlim said:
After six months of on and off again work, exploding trailer bearings, call outs at work and other delays, I finally got to throw my boat in the water and check everything out. I had to fight my way to the lake through lane closures and road work, crappy, narrow, pot holed county back roads and a ramp I wasn't sure was long enough to safely launch without falling into the hole at the end, but I finally did it. I was pleased to see everything work like it was supposed to with the exception of my 1993 era depth finder that worked on occasion but if that's my only disappointment, I'll take it! I was able to get the main up and piddle around as the clouds rolled in and the wind dwindled but after a while I just doused the sail and put the outboard through some maneuverability and lost hat recovery drills. I started seeing rain showers to the west and north and with the forecast calling for strong afternoon thunderstorms, I decided to take my big lightning rod back to the ramp and head to the house. I'm sure looking forward to the next time:D
Sounds good ... Thanks for sharing

Mar 8, 2012
Catalina 22 trailer sailor
Don't you just love that first sail? I took mine out last week for the first time and had the best time in a long time.

I love the way your back stay is rigged, mine is just a single wire coming down from the mast and terminating on the starboard side of the transom. That's a mod for another day.

Dec 5, 2011
I sure did! Reading your post from last week was one of the reasons I sat down here and put my story out. There wasn't much sailing involved but just getting out and pretty much having the lake to myself was wonderful. I can't take credit for the adjustable back stay on my boat, it was there when I bought it and it's good for knocking the hat off your head while starting the outboard. I got back to the house in the rain and did a walk around of the trailer after unloading everything and found a sheared bolt on one of the trailer bunk board supports. No wonder she shifted on the ride home, I knew I got her on straight when I left the ramp.

Mar 1, 2012
Catalina 22 Perrault Falls
I like the post also, Living in North Western Ontario means waiting till May for a warm day. I purchased a 1981 Catalina 22 that is parked at the lake waiting to be launched. We put the mast up two days ago but it snowed last night and cooled off enough to dampen all thoughts for at least a week.

Mar 8, 2012
I sure did! Reading your post from last week was one of the reasons I sat down here and put my story out. There wasn't much sailing involved but just getting out and pretty much having the lake to myself was wonderful. I can't take credit for the adjustable back stay on my boat, it was there when I bought it and it's good for knocking the hat off your head while starting the outboard. I got back to the house in the rain and did a walk around of the trailer after unloading everything and found a sheared bolt on one of the trailer bunk board supports. No wonder she shifted on the ride home, I knew I got her on straight when I left the ramp.
Did you have the back of the boat strapped down to the trailer? I've heard they roll on the trailer if you don't, my dad has had every boat we've ever owned strapped down on the road from 14 ft creek boats to the Wellcraft and Grady Whites.

I am glad I was an inspiration to someone concerning this lifestyle, I'm in it for cruising, not the sport of the race, I care nothing for racing, just relaxing out on the water, using what God gave us (wind) to propel us where we want to go. Therefore I call it a lifestyle and not a sport.

I am in the process of trying to make or obtain a trailer extension. My Jeep tires and tailpipe were in the water when launching, too close for my comfort.

Dec 5, 2011
I did have the boat strapped down with a big yellow ratcheting strap that I checked halfway through the trip home, along with the lights, bearings, rigging, etc.. Of course, those bumpy roads I was on could rattle your fillings and kidney stones loose. I looked over MapQuest trying to find another route to the ramp and until they fix the bridge that's out, I'm looking at 25 miles of narrow roads and loose crowns or 40 over the smooth and wide.....I'm with you on the cruising part, my boat has the pop top with the original vinyl enclosure and original Origo stove in great shape and I'm looking forward to dropping the anchor in a cove some where, setting up "camp" and just hanging out for the evening.

Sep 2, 2011
Hunter 27 Cherubini Alum Creek State Park
... I'm in it for cruising, not the sport of the race, I care nothing for racing, just relaxing out on the water, using what God gave us (wind) to propel us where we want to go. Therefore I call it a lifestyle and not a sport.
Gregg,

I'm glad to hear someone else thinks way. The majority of the members at my club is into racing, and they keep pushing me to race, but I'm just not interested. Also nice to hear God getting the credit.

Mar 8, 2012
Hey merlinuxo,

I guess it's cuz they put leaf springs on most boats, I don't know.

GorillaToast, I got lots to be ashamed of, and alot to answer for when I kneel before Him; however, I'm not a religious man, I'm not sitting in the pew every time the church doors open but when I'm on the water at night and away from land and the lights, I look up at the sky and I see what the ancient mariners saw, what you don't see in the city at night due to all the light noise. How can anyone not look up at that and thank God and know He's responsible for that, and the wind, and the sun, and our very breath.

Sep 2, 2011
Hunter 27 Cherubini Alum Creek State Park
Seems His Son liked to go out on the water with His buddies, too.

Nice to have company on this forum.

Still looking at 2 weeks before I can get back out on the water and forget some of the stress this time of year presents at work. I waited on the lions share of 432 customers today, that's down from 524 on Sunday.

Whew! 2 more years...2 more years...2 more years...2more years...

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
Glad to see I'm not the only one who notices how blessed we are to have the privelage of sailing, whatever the boat. Have you noticed that when you look up at those spreaders on the mast, that they make a perfect cross? Sailboats can be rigged many ways, I don't think it's an accident. Being out in the ocean is a good perspective to make us a lil more humble & appreciate our lot in life. When I'm out there sailing I really do forget my worries, clear my head, & realize how lucky I am to enjoy it with my family. I was lucky to have a Dad that imparted the joys of sailing on me. Cheers.

Mar 8, 2012
That's the first thing I noticed when I saw the first sailboat up close. I thought the rigging screwed it up tho, now I think it's a nice framing! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.