Yellow Formica

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bob

Can anyone tell me if the yellow formica I have throughout my cabin, on the sides of the drawers, etc. is original, Mine is all cracked and chipped. There is teak veneer plywood under the formica on the interior panel, and try as I might, that yellow just isn't going to get it. I am debating stripping the formica with a heat gun, and sanding the panels, but I would also like to keep it as close to original as possible.

M

mike

i had the yellow, puuuuuhhhhh

i had the yellow and orange tops on my '76 30' what i did is made new counter tops the plywood was not in great shape. and reformicaed (sp). on the sides i striped the yellow of the cabinet sides and relaminated with white. on the bulkhead it had walnut grain laminate and my wife co0vered it with an wall carpet. the table top i re did with cherry plywood with a dark stain. the yellow has to go, maybe cherubi jr can comment on the decision of the yellow, i guess it was popular then. mike

Jan 22, 2003
Hunter 25_73-83 Burlington NJ
Earth tones

My dad wrote a series of articles (which no publisher would touch at the time!) on the idiocy of a lot of boat-manufacturers' decisions concerning design and decor. He absolutely hated dealing with the hot-shots in Hunter marketing during the Alachua years and I guess this was his form of retaliation. Hunter started out with pretty benign, industry-normal combinations in the early 70s and promptly went to a 'Bicentennial' red-white-blue combo that, whilst not painful, was at least painfully corny. They went right from that into the dreaded 'earth tones' of about 1977-78. This was a fatal error. Having studied colour psychology I can tell you that certain colours have certain effects when used in certain contexts. Blue calms. Green soothes. Purple confuses. Brown makes you sick. Black reminds you of sin; white reminds you of purity. Yellow excites. Red makes you hungry. Consider-- McDonald's is red and yellow for a reason. Burger King used to be orange and chartreuse and they changed into orange and red... for a reason. The worst colour combination for a young single woman to wear to a party is red and black. (I actually wrote to the Christian school my kids play and complained about their girls' red-and-black soccer uniforms.) Pink makes men notice women-- for a good reason. The 'green room' in TV and theatre actually does calm you down. Blue is best for in prisons (and middle-school boys' rooms!). The absolutely WORST colour combination you can have aboard a small yacht is pale green, mustard-yellow, brown, tan, olive, and chartreuse. Think about it. They're the colours of bodily emissions, especially during seasickness! I will reiterate this again-- Hunter began to lose their original core market when they became more interested in the input of non-sailing dealers, decorators, and marketers than in that of people who actually sailed boats. JC 2 cherubiniyachts@aol.com

A

Andy

Avacado Sink

It may match the avacado sink in a kitchen I once had in the 70's. The head in the guest bathroom was the same color. Pop fashion comes and goes! Even on "TRADITIONAL YACHTS"!

E

ED

why dont you put new stuff down on the old

WE covered all of it in an off white, easy to do with a little practice. you would not have to strip anything off and it all will line up fine!

Jan 22, 2003
Hunter 25_73-83 Burlington NJ
Daring colours

And it doesn't have to be a tame off-white or eggshell or ecru either. Years ago-- in the early '70s-- Dufour used to exhibit show boats with vivid colour combinations inside-- brilliant red gelcoat in the head pan and moulded sink, navy-blue Formica bulkheads, orange and teal and slate grey, as well as more normal colours for contrast. The problem with this is finding the stuff. EVERY countertop guy has scraps of off-white Formica lying around. But try to find a 40 x 48-inch piece of flag blue! JC 2

B

Bob

yellow to .................

My wife and I think we are going to opt for an oak veneer on the upright surfaces, it may be a nice contrast to the existing teak.

Status
Not open for further replies.