Yanmar panel rebuild - indicator and alarm questions...

Apr 24, 2006
Aloha 32 Toronto, Lake Ontario
I'm building a custom engine panel for our Yanmar 3GM30 and wondering if I should mount the alarm unit behind the panel.

Has anyone else done this? It seems loud enough that it should still be heard. I've noticed that most after market panel manufacturers have the alarm on the backside of the panel.

I'm also looking at the old style indicator lights for oil/temp/alternator and thinking of using LED panel mount indicators like the picture below. Other than polarity, I don't see a down side. The new panel will have full gauges but it makes sense to keep the "idiot lights".

One final thought. The original panel has a dual purpose switch - one position to turn on the instrument lights and another to test the idiot lights.

I'm thinking of eliminating this switch and just have the instrument lights come one with the ignition switch. And with the LED indicators backed up with gauges (and the warning horn), I don't see the need for a "lamp test".

I'll be sure to post pics as this project progresses. Nothing to see now except an old panel disassembled and a big hole in the cockpit :)

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Chris

Attachments

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I think you are on the right tack, Chris.. No need to test the lamps..Oil press lamp will test on start up.. Horn will sound if other lamps fail.. Horn can be behind panel 'cause it is plenty loud but do mount it solidly to a fiberglass panel so some of the sound will transfer.. LEDs are fine for the lamps ..

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Just one thing, the water temperature alarm sensor will not activate when you turn on the key switch as the engine is cold and in fact will not activate until the engine happens to overheat. The toggle switch is there to test the water temperature sensor and alarm circuitry. It grounds the circuit pretty much like the sensor would and triggers the buzzer and the temp. idiot light to let you know it is working fine. Without the switch you would not know if the wiring and connections are any good to advice of an overheating condition.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I'm building a custom engine panel for our Yanmar 3GM30 and wondering if I should mount the alarm unit behind the panel.

Has anyone else done this? It seems loud enough that it should still be heard. I've noticed that most after market panel manufacturers have the alarm on the backside of the panel.
That's exactly where I've mounted the audible alarm for my raw water, low flow detector. It's loud enough that it is mounted inside the binnacle and is easily heard when the ignition is turned on. The low oil pressure alarm is a solid sound while the low flow detector is intermittent to tell them apart.

The best way to deal with a possible (unknown) high water temperature alarm circuit failure is to have a temperature gauge in the instrument mix.

Attachments

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Just one thing, the water temperature alarm sensor will not activate when you turn on the key switch as the engine is cold and in fact will not activate until the engine happens to overheat. The toggle switch is there to test the water temperature sensor and alarm circuitry. It grounds the circuit pretty much like the sensor would and triggers the buzzer and the temp. idiot light to let you know it is working fine. Without the switch you would not know if the wiring and connections are any good to advice of an overheating condition.
good catch Benny

Jan 22, 2008
S2 S2 11A Tauranga, New Zealand
Hi,
Just done that on my S2 11.0m. used the same warning lights and put alarm behind the panel. Loud enough for me. Also fitted a stop solenoid instead of a pull cable. Big improvement there.

Apr 24, 2006
Interesting. I had a look at the wiring diagram and the panel. The lamp test does ground the temperature circuit but right at the lamp. This also triggers the alarm. It only tests about 4 inches of wiring (and only at the panel) but does confirm the lamp and temperature signal from the alarm unit are operational. In my mind, the alarm is the most valuable item. It's a simple matter to add a waterproof push button - which I now plan to do.

Thank for the information - good advice.

I will also have a temperature gauge along with oil pressure and fuel level. Adding extra gauges was part of the project.

Chris

Oct 20, 2011
Hunter 30 Green Bay
Jumping in with a question, will regular automotive weatherproof gauges work with a Yanmar? Do the sender's have to be changed to work with gauges?

Apr 24, 2006
Jumping in with a question, will regular automotive weatherproof gauges work with a Yanmar? Do the sender's have to be changed to work with gauges?
I bought Faria gauges. You can get them for about $20 each, they are designed for marine use and made in the USA. I bought a Faria "set" that had the four gauges I wanted (oil, temp, fuel, volts) and also included a tach (for gas engines) and a speedometer (with pito tube and all hardware). Picked this up on Amazon for $60. Sold the tach and speedo to a powerboat friend for $40.

You will need new senders for oil and temp. The ones on the boat are on/off switches not resistance "sending units". You should still leave the existing system intact - so the alarm and lights instantly tell you of an oil or temp problem. Depending on your engine you may need a "T" for the second oil sender. For temp, there usually is no place for a second sensor. You can't T the temp as it needs coolant flowing past it to work. Most people install it in a piece of brass tube that's spliced into the hot water heater hose. Apparently this is as accurate as on the block.

Chris

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Exactly ...............

Most people install it in a piece of brass tube that's spliced into the hot water heater hose. Apparently this is as accurate as on the block.
.................. shown here mounted in a brass tee located in the engine hot water supply to the HX. As everything is isolated by rubber, a ground wire is soldered to the tee.

Attachments

Apr 24, 2006
.................. shown here mounted in a brass tee located in the engine hot water supply to the HX. As everything is isolated by rubber, a ground wire is soldered to the tee.
That is one clean/new looking engine compartment - wow...

Sep 3, 2012
79 Hunter 30 Carlyle lake Il.
Good morning! Enjoyed reading your thoughts on the panel rebuild. Ive often criticized Yanmar/Hunter for the minimization of engine status indicators and their placement. I will be looking forward to your progress reports.

Thinking about the topic of idiot lights, I am curious of the distraction of lights vs. their necessity. LED bulbs are exceptionally bright and to have a bunch of multi colored lights come on in night time settings is both a blessing and curse. Seeing an "all systems go" light as opposed to an internal light on a gauge allowing you to see Voltage/Temp/Oil pressure/Wind speed/Direction/etc.. is probably one of the indicators between old school and new school. I personally like to make my own decisions as to what temp/pressure/level is acceptable in my car rather than trust an idiot light only when it is time to stop and seek assistance. (Please this was meant to be humorous rather than offensive).

Im just thinking through the distraction of idiot lights when you don't need them to be seen vs. when you want them to be. As far as the buzzer.. I always wondered why that was there in the first place. Its no secret when my Yanmar is running vs. when its not, and to agree with your idiot light concept, one light saying your key is on would suffice. Especially when my particularly old Yanmar is a completely mechanical fuel pump system eliminating the fear of a fuel pump running unnecessarily.

Anyway, just my two cents. look forward to hearing how your project goes.

Sep 27, 2010
BABA 30 30 NY
Servicing engine popped off green CW Temp sensor AND wire !
Trying to find just where the wire ( white/blue ) connects
The sensor end is of course still attached to sensor. Can anyone tell me where other ends goes ?? Yanmar 3GMF / B panel
Thanks
Ken

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
Other wire to Ground.... Here is my temp hookup for the 3GM30F... Also pay attention to the threading on the Yanmar.... -Jon
EngineTempGuage.jpeg