Yanmar emgine coolant replacement

Dec 15, 2012
Catalina 309 Boston
Just drained my 2006 Yanmar 3YM20. There was a fair amount of rust in the drained coolant so I continued to run fresh clean water through the system until no more rust was evident. The manual states that this model would take 4.2 quarts or slightly more than a gallon. My engine only took about half that ! I 'm not sure why that is but I suspect there's lots of sediment as well as some clogging as well. Any advice on next steps would be greatly appreciated. I started the engine and ran it at about 1500 rpm for
About 5 mins. Engine to rose to about 140*F which is normal. Any thoughts as to why the engine took only about half of what the manual stated? Thanks

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Just to keep track of what comes out vs. what's returned, I always drain into a graduated jug and then replace the same volume of AF as what I removed. I know I'm not getting everything, everytime from the block, heat exchanger, and domestic hot water heater so I like to replace the coolant every two years to make sure I'm keeping up with the anti-corrosion agents in the AF.

I notice you say that you only got to 140 after five minutes. Any problem in geting to a running temperature of 170 when loaded ?

Mar 20, 2007
Catalina 355 Kilmarnock, VA
Did you drain the block? There's a drain tap on the starboard rear of the block, aft of the oil filter. It can also be reached from the aft berth. You need to remove the radiator-type cap from the top of the heat exchanger to get it to drain completely. My engine had a short (443) 850-3798length of plastic tubing on the tap to help direct and catch the AF.