Yanmar diesel from S2 9.2a

Mark F

May 20, 2017
s2 9.2 Holland MIchigan
I am currently considering purchasing a 1978 S2 9.2, I am quite certain the inboard is a Yanmar diesel, but I can not find the model number. Please can anyone tell me the model number by the attached photo. Thanks.

Attachments

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
I don't know what model Yanmar engine that is but from the looks of the delamination and water stains on the bulkheads, it may have been submerged. Check it carefully before you commit to a purchase.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Pretty sure it is a Yanmar YSB model but I can't tell if it is YSB 8 horsepower or a YSB 12 horsepower.. The name tag should be on the back of the flywheel housing as in this viseo:

Jun 19, 2004
Island Packet IP 32 99 Forked River, NJ
+1 to Ted's post! Everything below that waterline looks roached. Looked at a few boats like that over the years and walked away. I'm not afraid of repairs and restoration but the boat bucks tend to add up fast.
BTW that's a cool bicycle chain setup on that engine! I suppose it's for hand cranking?

Mar 2, 2008
Cal 25 mk II T-Bird Marina, West Vancouver
I have a YSM12. That is one of the earlier versions either a YSE or a YSB series. Could be either the smaller 8hp model or the larger 550cc 12hp @ 3000rpm model. There should be a name plate on the back top of the reduction gear clutch unit. Do a quick search on the Internet for pictures and specifications to compare if you can't find the lable. They are very simple and very reliable motors that keep on going and going and going, just like the rabbit in the battery adds. You should also be able to find manuals on the Internet to download.