Yanmar 53 hp engine hard to start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 4, 2013
Beneteau 40 Holyrood
Recently purchased a Beneteau 40 2008 model yanmar 53 hp and finding it difficult to start the engine when it is cold and warm. Usually after the third try it ends up starting. Once it starts it runs great. Any idea as to what the problem maybe.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Can you provide some context, e.g., cranks slowly, not at all, cranks but won't start, old fuel, old clogged filters, hours on engine, bad breather filter, presence of smoke, bad battery, low cranking voltage, corroded connections in start circuit, bad starter motor, leaks at injectors, clogged injectors, etc... Any of which could cause this plus more I can't immediately think of.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I have a similar issue with a 2GM20F. It starts fine at the dock,but after being out sailing for awhile with the electronics powered up, I push the starter button and get nothing.
Sometimes bumping it a couple of additional times, the engine will crank rapidly and start immediately.. If that doesn't work, switching to the second battery does. I know that it might be the contacts in the start button, and I have seen other threads indicating that it might be a wire size issue in the starter circuit.. I believe it's the white wire (somebody else may be able to verify that). I believe some have wired a relay into the circuit as well.

Jul 8, 2005
Jeanneau 389 Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
I have a similar issue with a 2GM20F. It starts fine at the dock,but after being out sailing for awhile with the electronics powered up, I push the starter button and get nothing.
Sometimes bumping it a couple of additional times, the engine will crank rapidly and start immediately.. If that doesn't work, switching to the second battery does. I know that it might be the contacts in the start button, and I have seen other threads indicating that it might be a wire size issue in the starter circuit.. I believe it's the white wire (somebody else may be able to verify that). I believe some have wired a relay into the circuit as well.
Hey DougM,

We had the same problem about 6 or 7 years ago on our 321. I friend of mine fixed his 321 and helped me with mine. Ran a new wire from the starter button to the starter solenoid. He had read that there are several terminals between the 2 from Beneteau and they get corroded. I have never had that problem again.

Chris

Jul 8, 2005
Jeanneau 389 Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
That solution looked more complicated that what we did....

Status
Not open for further replies.