Yanmar 3JH2e

Jun 14, 2004
Hunter Hunter 34 Kent Narrows
I have a few questions regarding the Yanmar 3JH2E engine on my new to me '98 Hunter 376: Why are there 2 separate oil fill caps and only 1 dipstick? The dipstick currently reads fine for oil, but if it were low which fill would I use?
Does the gearbox use the same type of oil as the engine and is it filled through the dipstick?
Is there supposed to be a replaceable paper filter in the air intake silencer? I know there was one in my H-34 Yanmar 3GM30, but when I opened this one there isn't one. Thanks

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Where are the two fill caps relative to each other/front of the engine?
The filter disintegrated and the PO couldn't/wouldn't replace it.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
The fill caps are for convenience.. use whichever one makes ya happy. The engine is used on many different boats.. some will have access problems for one or the other fill plug. Ya should put an element into the housing.. even though there is not much dust around at sea, the engine might inhale some debris that could damage it.
Yup, the dipstick is where ya put in transmission oil.. your manual for the engine will tell ya what oil to use.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 376 Annapolis MD
>Why are there 2 separate oil fill caps and only 1 dipstick?
Different boats need different access to put oil in. In my 376, I use the top access.
>Does the gearbox use the same type of oil as the engine
No! It uses transmission oil. Your manual tells you what oil to use
>and is it filled through the dipstick?
Yes. And to measure the oil level just rest the dipstick on top of the transmission; do not screw it in. If you screw it in to measure level you will get an erroneous reading.
>Is there supposed to be a replaceable paper filter in the air intake silencer?
No, there is no air filter for this engine.

Allan

Jun 14, 2004
Hunter Hunter 34 Kent Narrows
A sponge? There is nothing inside the air intake housing. Is there supposed to be a sponge?

Dec 18, 2012
Hunter 37.5 Annapolis
Rkssail,
I have the pdf manual for the engine, but it is too big to post here. Google search this. I just did it, and it came up top link:
"JH(2) OP Manual-ENG.pdf"
It has the oil for the gearbox. ATF fluid for my gearbox, filled from the dipstick.

Paul