Would you fly this spinnaker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 6, 2012
Catalina 22 Lake Pleasant
I have an opportunity to purchase a relatively cheap Asymmetrical Spin from another boat type. I have a Cat 22. The dimensions of this sail are 26'8" Luff/ 22' Leech/16'10"foot. Im not racing but Id love a light wind downwind sail. The foot is about 3 feet longer than normal A Spins for the Catalina 22. The other dimensions are pretty close (8 inches longer Luff than the sail they sell at the Sail Store). 275 sq ft. Think it'll work? Will I be forced to use a whisker pole with this? Ive never used one but one did come with the boat. It's about 75.00 and 2 seasons old, no tears....

Thanks in advance!

Nrml

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Sure, why not? With a decent breeze, it'll fill out and lift up. Use an adjustable tackline.

Depending on your point of sail, you may need a pole, but probably only in the lightest of breezes will it seem necessary. Getting some lightweight sheets will help in light air handling.
I'll be looking for a C22 flying a "huge" spinnaker this winter. ;)

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I'd try it. The luff is the important measure.

No need to think pole. The clew of than thing will be nowhere near your mast. The foot of the sail is only 4 feet shorter than your boat!

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
The luff of the prospective sail is 1 foot longer than your (C22 MkI & MkII) 25.69Ft luff dimension.

This will make for a 'squirrely' sail especially in 'light' winds when the tack-line is normally pulled tight (spin tack pulled close to the foredeck/bow) for tacking/gybing and simply 'flying'; ditto too, when the sail is being used for beam-reach (and higher) sailing when also the tack line is 'tighter'.
Unless you want to use this sail for *exclusively* for broad reaching and in 'higher' wind-ranges .... I'd 'pass' on a sail with its too-long luff length, .... unless you want to go through the 'bother' or expense of 'alterations'.

Another consideration - if you plan on using a 'chute-scoop', 'sock', etc. to launch, etc. the dimensions of the sock, etc. when fully 'up' to deploy the sail will have to be 'deducted' from the spinnakers luff dimension ... and THIS sail is already with a TOO BIG luff dimension for your boat.

Normally, A-spinns dont use any poles at all; but, you 'can' attach the tack of an asymmetrical to a 'pole' end - especially useful for 'dead downwind' sailing which is quite 'difficult' for an asymmetrical because its normally 'tacked' to the boats centerline and therefore easily 'shadowed' by the mainsail .... the 'pole' is used to get the sail's tack 'out and away from the boats centerline and into more 'undisturbed airflow' --- just like a symmetrical spinnaker.

Summary Rx: Sail has a TOO BIG luff dimension for your boat. I'd 'pass'.

Jun 6, 2012
Catalina 22 Lake Pleasant
That's good info. Thank you. I was looking at the dimensions of the A Spin from the sail store online and they have a 26' Luff measurement. The extra 8 inches plus the wide foot make this a no go I guess....

Here's the ad:
Catalina 22 Asymmetrical

Our Catalina 22 Asymmetrical Spinnakers are manufactured with the same quality as our custom sails. Computer cutting ensures a perfect fit and you'll enjoy the dependability and strength of Challenge sailcloth ?the industry standard.
Features Include

• Cloth Weight: .75 ounce Challenge Nylon
  • Radial corner patches
  • Spinnaker turtle bag
  • Color coded luff and leech tapes
  • Luff Measurement: 26 feet
  • Leech Measurement: 23.5 feet
  • Foot Measurement: 13.5 feet
  • Square Footage: 305 feet

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
Shoot, for 75 bucks buy it and run it up the pole and SEE if you like it. In light air, I fly a genoa off of a 25 on a 22 boat. If you asked anybody if it will work, they'll say no way. But guess what? It does.
And for 75 bucks, if it doesn't work, sell it for a hundred.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Shoot, for 75 bucks buy it and run it up the pole and SEE if you like it. In light air, I fly a genoa off of a 25 on a 22 boat. If you asked anybody if it will work, they'll say no way. But guess what? It does.
And for 75 bucks, if it doesn't work, sell it for a hundred.
:thumbup:

Jan 14, 2011
tanzer tanzer 28 bathurst nb
my spinaker is 400sqfoot, and the boat is 23 feet, you should be fine with yours, i even went to the scary length of using mine as a genoa, lolo i crossed the line first but it didn't count...lololol

fly it and have fun, it is quite a learning process!

Status
Not open for further replies.