Worst sailing update ever

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
I used to live in California. Every year about this time, some dudes would make jokes about it being warm enough to sail while others were lamenting their withdrawal syndrome.

I always felt it was rude to do so, and sometimes called them out on it, but for years have kept my thoughts to myself.

Last summer we sailed our boat up from SF to Vancouver Island. Since arriving, we have had the worst weather in recorded history: more rain in Oct. and Nov., early snow and well below average temps in Dec.

I haven't been able to use the boat except for three single overnights since we got here in mid Sept. At least it's still in the water, but below freezing temperatures don't equate to use or even maintenance.

I understand, and am very glad I didn't ever publicly revel in my good fortune.

It is not appropriate to gloat and I feel very sorry for those who have to put their boats up for months at a time.
Stu, not gloating, just an attempt at some ill gotten humor. BTW, I'd trade their summers for our's anyday.

Last edited:

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
I couldn't watch it past him trying to back over "the stick". However, my phone rang, and while I was juggling that, and trying to find the pause button, I got to see him ruin the tail light, then toss "the stick" out farther, where they could hit it again.

It was just too painful to be funny. Wow.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Roland, when I posted that about ice, I fully expected someone to make the drink comment. :D

Canadians who travel south in the winter, laugh at locals who are all bundled up.
It's a matter of perspective, and what your body is acclimated to.

My wife and I are usually acclimated to a nice merlot, or Rum or Gin Martinis on the ice. ;)

Stu, where on Vancouver Island are you ?

Further north in Prince Rupert, it usually has really crap weather in the winter, but evidently sometimes people still get out on the water. Even at -4C /24 F on some Sunday this winter .

Edit: nevermind.. noticed your sig says Maple Bay.
You'll love it once you get out there. The best stuff IMO, is further north in the more remote areas. Try get up there before school is out in Washington state, and you no longer have the anchorages to yourself.

Last edited:
May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Canadians who travel south in the winter, laugh at locals who are all bundled up.
It's a matter of perspective, and what your body is acclimated to.
How true. I grew up until my early twenties in MA on the coast. When I moved to Fl in '72 I wouldn't think twice about going swimming in Jan. Now, with the water temp just barely 70, I don't even think about it. In Maine a few years ago, we went whale watching in July. We're sitting on the bow dressed in our foul weather jackets while the locals were dressed in shorts and t-shirts. Maybe that's why they're called Maniacs. Just kidding. Don't beat me up. Or, maybe they thought I was the maniac or maybe just a sissy.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Stu, not gloating, just an attempt at some ill gotten humor. BTW, I'd trade their summers for our's anyday.
+1, it's not gloating in any way shape form or fashion, just having fun. If we can't kid each other a little now and then, there's something seriously wrong with us. At least that's how I see it. If I like someone, I kid around with them. If I don't ... I don't.

Besides, we Southerners may sail all winter (except for the cold days, yes we have 'em), but we hardly ever get the keel wet from mid June to mid October.

And now, anyone who wants to poke fun at me for considering 50F to be "cold", bring it on! :ass:

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
he he-- nice thread and here I was complaining about how I didn't have any good sailing threads to read, which prompted my snow pic. Now I have good reading fodder :) good on y'all

Ps. arctic blast is over-- went from 9 above to to 45 F by tomorrow--- potentially back to work at least on the garage pieces.

Jun 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Lake Thunderbird
Here I'll make you all feel better.

Long story short I ordered a new rear passenger side window for the truck. Just one minute before my wife showed up with our spare set of keys I broke out the window.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Hehe. I hate new vehicles for many reasons. One of them is that they automatically lock the doors.
At the shop, we keep the windows open in all customer vehicles, to prevent the mechanics from being accidentally locked out. Some vehicles, which dropraise the window 1/2" before/after the door opens/closes, are impossible to open with a lockout kit, and require breaking the window.

You were out on the water :)

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Here I'll make you all feel better.

Long story short I ordered a new rear passenger side window for the truck. Just one minute before my wife showed up with our spare set of keys I broke out the window.
Sailing is fun ;) . Which is why I have a hide-a-key on every vehicle we own. used the one on the truck once last summer at the lake after dropping the key overboard.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
Brief update...I have my backup plan for a winter sail if we get a break in the miserable cold. Set this rig up in October. Might need warmer clothes, but the Castine has been in cold water numerous times.

IMG_0299.JPG

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Brief update...I have my backup plan for a winter sail if we get a break in the miserable cold. Set this rig up in October. Might need warmer clothes, but the Castine has been in cold water numerous times.

View attachment 131396
Seems like you could reconfigure that same rig into a lateen rig pretty easily and do some real sailing. ;)

Nov 30, 2015
Seems like you could reconfigure that same rig into a lateen rig pretty easily and do some real sailing. ;)
That's a down wind, hands and paddle free run. I can get this rig into the wind about 75 deg., by pulling on the paracord tied to to the upper fiberglass supports and a wooden control rod on my lap. Starboard or port tack. The bungees keep the forward tension, and one support becomes the mast, the other the boom or vice-versa. It's a lazy man's kayaking. Similarly with any broad reach. Doesn't work well on rapid moving water, disconnects with four small caribeaners, but has allowed some serious beer consumption on long flat water paddle returns when there's wind.

As far as setting up as a lanteen, I'd need to have a wider beam and hard chine. There's no way I'm putting up an unstable mast pendulum above this unstable child's toy. Less is more with this application.

Last edited:

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
As far as setting up as a lanteen, I'd need to have a wider beam and hard chine. There's no way I'm putting up an unstable mast pendulum above this unstable child's toy. Less is more with this application.
I duno... my old Snark was at least as rounded as a kayak, and it performed well enough
un-balasted. of course you don't have a daggerboard to help hold the line however. ;)

P1020400.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2013
Islander 32 mkll Comox Hrb.
I had a Sea Snark when I was about ten years old. That thing went like a bat outa hell with a stiff breeze! Caught a lot of fish from that boat, thanks for the memories!

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
That's the boat I learned to sail in 45 years ago.

Went to look at a fiberglass dinghy last week, and sitting beside the dinghy, upside down on the ground, was a Snark. The guy had just finished painting it. I told him what it was, and I could tell he didn't really believe me. I asked him how he got the paint to stick to the styrofoam, and he sort of perked up. Turns out he had glassed the hull! So I described the mast step to him while the hull was still upside down, and that convinced him. We traded sailing stories, and he turned the boat over.

The reason he had glassed it was to turn it into a rowing shell. He had mounted a rowing seat, foot pads, oarlocks - the whole shebang. He raved about how fast the boat was. Brought back some fond memories.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Lake Thunderbird
I had a Sunfish I learned on. Great little boat looked identical to a Snark. They may have been made by the same company. I remember seeing Snarks around when sailing the Sunfish. Had the sunflower symbol on the sail.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida

View attachment 131396
I love it!! If you don't mind me asking, what are your spars made of, and how long are they?

I have thought long and hard about making the same kind of sail for our Sea Eagle inflatable kayak. Sea Eagle sells one, but I'm too cheap to pay the asking price.

Nov 30, 2015
Merry Christmas Gene, the fabric is nylon and was acquired from Joann Fabrics, the supports are fiberglass tent poles purchased from Dick's Sporting Goods, add in some bungee and paracord, a couple caribeaners, and the inspiration came from this site: http://www.kayarchy.com/html/01equipment/014sailingkayaks.htm
IMG_0479.JPG

One thing I should have done was add a plastic sheet window though.