Wood block under mast

May 13, 2013
Kells 23 In my driveway
I'm working on an old trailer sailor, which had a wood block about two inches thick under the mast tabernacle when I bought it. The wood matches all other wood on the deck, and appears original. What is the purpose of this?
Boat is a 75 Kells 23 CB.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Was looking at some pictures of other Kells and indeed it looks like the manufacturer inserted a wood block at the tabernacle. The only thing that I can think is that it could be a reinforcement and attachment point for the tabernacle. Some manufacturers glass it in to make it look like part of the cabin top but Kell seems to leave it uncovered. It might make it easier to replace if the need arises. For further clues see how it attaches to the cabin top and what kind of support for the mast is there inside the cabin.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
it could be a decorative but functional addition in spreading the loads inflicted by the mast/rigging on the cabintop.... also, some boats that have a bent/formed/stamped piece of stainless as the tabernacle, or even one that is more rigid, the movements of the mast during use and rigging can cause loosening of the fasteners and leaks.... with a substantial foot block, it could allow a more permanent seal between it and the cabintop, even if the tabernacle were to flex a bit....
either by design or by accident, its a better mounting idea.

May 13, 2013
Kells 23 In my driveway
Thank you for the feedback. I think I was looking for someone to assure me that it was ok to be there. Like I said, it appears to be original, yet I've never seen this done before.
I'm not sure how it could spread a load, as it is not any wider than the tabernacle itself.

Also: I'm getting close to done with this project (finally), and I'm reinstalling hardware on the deck after a nice new paint job. The winch cleats are mounted with a similar block of wood under them, maybe a 1/2" thick. Is there any reason that the cleats need these wood blocks? It looks like they are for looks, though I can see where they would help spread any load. I'll try to post some pics.
Thanks so much for the help.
Sean.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Wood has some flexibility to it. If you over tighten a bolt against fiber glass it will crack while it would just depress into the wood. I think that when you talk about spreading the loads it may mean spreading the load of the bolts more than those of the mast. In any instance it might be easier to replace a wood block than to repair the cabin top or deck of a boat.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
Wood has some flexibility to it. If you over tighten a bolt against fiber glass it will crack while it would just depress into the wood. I think that when you talk about spreading the loads it may mean spreading the load of the bolts more than those of the mast. In any instance it might be easier to replace a wood block than to repair the cabin top or deck of a boat.
Correct... where the tabernacle may have some flexabiliy to it, the 2" thick wood does not have as much but will give at the bolt holes so when the bolts are tightened it will not deform the cabintop.
The thin stainless steel can deform at the bolt hols and cause depressions when the bolts get tightened..
Also if the mast should ever get away from you while raising or lowering, there is muchmlees chance of it severely damaging the cabintop...

Its just a better foundation against frp than is a thin stamped-out piece of stainless...