Without bottom paint

Nov 29, 2011
Catalina 27 0ceanside
About how long can I leave my boat in the water without bottom paint? I know that it depends on the water conditions and location but has anyone left it in for a month at a time or more without damage or blisters to the hull other than a good cleaning afterwards.

Nov 29, 2011
Catalina 27 0ceanside
No barrier paint. Factory bottom and I would like to keep it that way if I can get a month in the water this summer without damage.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
We left our 26s in a cold, freshwater lake for a couple of months with no paint and it suffered no ill effects. Consequently, we splashed it in the ocean and three days later it was green.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Macs don't have the thickest gelcoat. I would not assume it is an effective barrier to water getting into the fiberglass

Aug 1, 2011
Macs don't have the thickest gelcoat. I would not assume it is an effective barrier to water getting into the fiberglass
That might explain the appearance of black marks when you cut polish. :)

Jun 9, 2004
Catalina 385 Marquette. Mi
Bottom paint has no relation with the fact that you might get blisters. Manufacture does. Ask how I know..

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
We left our 26s in a cold, freshwater lake for a couple of months with no paint and it suffered no ill effects. Consequently, we splashed it in the ocean and three days later it was green.
We sailed our Catalina 22 on a freshwater lake, left it in from Memorial Day to Labor Day for a few years, had to do a lot of cleaning- used a special service at the lake like an underwater car wash.

Left it in for a few weekends, longest a week in saltwater, never tried any longer.

Bigger question: why do you ask? :)

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Oceanside California ? Why not have a diver clean it once while it's in the water, otherwise there's a worm leaves a white casting that may not come off without scraping after a month.
This time of year slime starts in a couple days, dark green short growth on the sunny side within a week, 12-18 inches long bright green weed within a month, if the boat isn't moving a lot.

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
About how long can I leave my boat in the water without bottom paint? I know that it depends on the water conditions and location but has anyone left it in for a month at a time or more without damage or blisters to the hull other than a good cleaning afterwards.
Blisters or no, you will absolutely regret leaving the boat in the water without anti fouling paint for any appreciable length of time.

Karyon

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Red deer, Alberta
As previous posters mentioned, it all depends on water quality and temperature. last year I left my hunter in the water for 2.5 months, with no antifouling paint I don't think antifouling prevents blisters. Anyway when I pulled the boat out for the winter the bottom was a brown and slimy, drove to a carwash and used the soap brush cleaned it off nicely. This year I'm going to leave it in the water longer and I think I will put some antifouling paint on.

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
As previous posters mentioned, it all depends on water quality and temperature. last year I left my hunter in the water for 2.5 months, with no antifouling paint I don't think antifouling prevents blisters. Anyway when I pulled the boat out for the winter the bottom was a brown and slimy, drove to a carwash and used the soap brush cleaned it off nicely. This year I'm going to leave it in the water longer and I think I will put some antifouling paint on.
You're in a (presumably) cold freshwater lake. Apples and oranges. Leaving a boat in relatively warm saltwater (the OP is in Southern California) is really a poor decision and I guarantee that a soapy brush wouldn't do the job.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
In two/three days on the gulf coast, the inflate-dink bottom will start to show hard growth .. little calcium deposits that will be barnacles in another couple of days..

Aug 1, 2011
For the 45 minutes we get to boat in a year between infestations of ice, there isn't really time for crap to grow. It's an intense 45 minutes though.