Registered users don't see ads

Wire to wire win

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Jackdaw, May 19, 2017. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Jackdaw

Jackdaw

Joined Nov 8, 2010
    6,971 posts, 1,048 likes
    Beneteau First 36.7 & 260
    US Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
    Great first win for Jodi on BlueJ last night, we nail the start and lead wire to wire, including beating 4 boats that owe us huge time to the finish. Here's a short vid from the evening.... A (longer faster) j27 that was behind us slowly drives up to us to windward, but now I control when we both gybe to the mark. We wait for our best angle, then nail the maneuver and blast downwind. They are much slower to gybe, loose distance, and have to hot reach to the mark. We never see them again. Zoom!

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    dlblandjr, Alansails and plenny7 like this.
  2. plenny7

plenny7

Joined Oct 3, 2014
    103 posts, 37 likes
    Hunter 33.5
    US Minneapolis & Lake City, MN
    Nice!

3. jwing

jwing

Joined Jun 5, 2014
    245 posts, 47 likes
    ODay Mariner
    US Guntersville
    What does 'hot reach' mean?

4. Jackdaw

Jackdaw

Joined Nov 8, 2010
    6,971 posts, 1,048 likes
    Great question. When sailing downwind, spinnaker boats will gybe their way down the course to stay in best pressure and on a good true wind angle (145-170) for their spinnaker. Now the longer you wait for your last gybe to the mark, the 'hotter' that angle will be, or more reachy. You can see in this screenshot that after we gybed we were reaching to the mark, and the j27 gybes MUCH later than we did. So they came in hot. OK for sailing as long as you can carry your kite, but a real test of your crew work when you have to douse at the mark. Nobody likes to take down a kite that is reaching; the deeper you are sailing the easier it is. With the wind way forward, and 14 knots of breeze its almost impossible, and often boats will turn down (away from the mark) to douse. But that's slow.

reach to the mark.jpg

jwing likes this.
  5. Apex

Apex

Joined Jun 19, 2013
    589 posts, 38 likes
    Oday 28
    US Muskegon
    congrats on the win Jodi! :O)

....must be the XS crew shirts at work. ;O)

Jackdaw likes this.
  6. LakeShark

LakeShark

Joined Sep 15, 2016
    180 posts, 35 likes
    Catalina 22
    US Minnesota Minnesota
    @Jackdaw I have to ask a potentially dumb question. I enjoyed your video but do you have a double line coming from your mainsheet? In this video as well as others it seems like your boat has either an endless line (but I don't know how) or 2 lines coming to the sheet tender. Why is this?

7. Jackdaw

Jackdaw

Joined Nov 8, 2010
    6,971 posts, 1,048 likes
    @LakeShark , we have a 2-speed mainsheet system, designed to help the high sheet loads when going upwind. It is a Harken 3:1/6:1 system. Pull both sheets and you get a very quick 3:1 retrieve; nice when rounding the leeward mark and miles of sheet are out. Like in that picture! Pull one of them (either one) and its a much easier 6:1 retrieve, great when getting the last two inches of sheet in to get perfect upwind trim. Spendy but worth it; right @cb32863?? ;^)

2 speed.jpg

It would be great if it were an endless line, but the splice would be a nightmare in the blocks. So we re-balance the (long!) sheet after every sail.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  8. LakeShark

LakeShark

Joined Sep 15, 2016
    180 posts, 35 likes
    Catalina 22
    US Minnesota Minnesota
    I didn't even know such a thing existed. I guess you learn something new every day. Looks like a nice setup though.

9. Jackdaw

Jackdaw

Joined Nov 8, 2010
    6,971 posts, 1,048 likes
    That sure helped! Sadly it was under many layers of foul weather gear. It was cool and got COLD once the sun started setting.

10. Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson

Joined Feb 26, 2004
    19,394 posts, 340 likes
    Catalina 34
    US C34 San Francisco
    I guess this means you decided to "keep" each other! :plus: Great work!

Jackdaw likes this.
  11. cb32863

cb32863

Joined Jun 29, 2010
    734 posts, 55 likes
    Beneteau First 235
    US Lake Minnetonka, MN
    Most definitely worth it! Going to improve mine later this year to the 6:1/3:1 w/ratchet. With mid boom sheeting on that big main of the 235, it tends to get to be a lot of work to trim main. Last night was a prime example.

12. Jackdaw

Jackdaw

Joined Nov 8, 2010
    6,971 posts, 1,048 likes
    This is a key point, in particular if you race and/or have a lady trimming main. Jodi is tough as nails but simply not as strong as the average ape you see trimming main. The extra purchase gives welcome assistance.

13. Sandy Stone

Sandy Stone

Joined Jun 2, 2007
    296 posts, 12 likes
    Beneteau First 375
    US Slidell, LA
    Oh, so it's not just me, then?

14. Alansails

Alansails

Joined Oct 3, 2011
    454 posts, 32 likes
    Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155
    US Lake Erie/Catawba Island
    GREAT JOB TEAM!
    good work! Congrats

Jackdaw likes this.
  15. Jackdaw

Jackdaw

Joined Nov 8, 2010
    6,971 posts, 1,048 likes
    No indeed.

That j27 totally muffed their drop, and ended sailing past the mark with their kite up, the most painful thing you can do in sailboat racing. Not only are you make HUGE negative VMG while that is happening, but you get the double pain of having to sail upwind back to the mark, at only 1/2 the VMG you were losing while you sailed by!

16. Meriachee

Meriachee

Joined Aug 1, 2011
    1,754 posts, 266 likes
    Catalina 270
    CA Edmonton, Ab Wabamun - on the orange ball
    We had the same block made by Guido at Garhauer. Nowhere near as pricey as the Harken offering and just as glossy.

17. Jackdaw

Jackdaw

Joined Nov 8, 2010
    6,971 posts, 1,048 likes
    I've looked into that in the past, and while the Garhauer stuff is well built, there is significant differences. The Harken part allows you to adjust the angle of the cleat, which is key to ease of use. Also on the Harken part, the block before the cleat has a ratchet that can be turned on and off, which makes using it in a blow much easier. With this you can hold the sheet without cleating it. And its much lighter.

Harken really designs their stuff with the input of racers and world class sailors. Its why they use it.

jon hansen likes this.
  18. Meriachee

Meriachee

Joined Aug 1, 2011
    1,754 posts, 266 likes
    Catalina 270
    CA Edmonton, Ab Wabamun - on the orange ball
    Yeah, but lets not forget that not everybody wants, or can afford the really slippery stuff. :)

Jackdaw likes this.
  19. pateco

pateco

Joined Aug 12, 2014
    1,290 posts, 162 likes
    Hunter 31 (1983)
    US Pompano Beach FL
    Couldnt you raise the jib, and douse behind it as you head up at the mark?

20. Jackdaw

Jackdaw

Joined Nov 8, 2010
    6,971 posts, 1,048 likes
    Remember that the spinnaker is outside the jib, and once you turn up, its not in the lee of the jib, but windward of it. People have tried it, but it looks nasty.

bad drop.jpg

When things are tight at the leeward mark (like in the drop in the original video) I'm always talking/watching the foredecker, so make sure I can turn the boat.

Last edited: May 24, 2017
    jon hansen likes this.

Gray Enterprises port gasket
Stop winter leaks. Compare our price!
NEW, updated Get Rid of Boat Odors
The bible of marine toilets and plumbing, expanded and updated for 2016!
Stainless documentation placard
Who said a documentation placard cant be beautiful? Brushed stainless with laser-fused numerals.
Mainsail covers
Pre-patterned mainsail covers to fit your boat