Registered users don't see ads

Winter project

Discussion in 'Day Sailers' started by Spooled Again, Jan 15, 2017. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Spooled Again

Spooled Again

Joined Dec 27, 2012
    292 posts, 19 likes
    Oday 22 (Sold), O 240 (Current)
    US Somers Point
    Ive been slowly upgrading things within the cabin of my O 240. I figured working on the boat will speed up winter. I never cared for the original white laminate counter top. Made a new countertop and shelves. I made a slide out drawer for the stove. I purchased an electric self priming faucet to replace the hand pump faucet. I will have to report back on that. Unable to test it due to freezing temperatures. So far I like the way things have been turning out. Just thought I would share.

Thanks

Attached Files:

sdstef likes this.
  2. Brian S

Brian S

Joined Nov 9, 2012
    2,182 posts, 110 likes
    Oday 192
    US Lake Nockamixon
    Do you plan to cook on the stove shelf pulled out? Are the sliders strong enough to do that? If you are going to do that, is there a chance that it could slide back in while lit? Countertop looks great, is that cherry plywood? At least cherry stain, I guess?

3. Spooled Again

Spooled Again

Joined Dec 27, 2012
    292 posts, 19 likes
    US Somers Point
    The shelf is strong enough to cook on. The slides are pretty durable, rated for 50 pounds. I do have concerns of it sliding back while cooking. I have to figure out a way to lock it in both the out and in position.

The countertop is birch laminated plywood. The stain was a mixture. I tried to match the existing interior tone. I wasn't able to match it but close enough. I mixed 1/3 min wax Sedona red and 2/3 Golden Pecan.

4. Brian S

Brian S

Joined Nov 9, 2012
    2,182 posts, 110 likes
    Oday 192
    US Lake Nockamixon
    You make me very envious. I'd love to have a 240... And a truck that could tow it. I could live on a 240 for a week or two on vacations!

5. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    2,081 posts, 355 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    US Salem, Moored Port Everett WA
    Very pretty work. Any concern about the birch getting stained, wet, damaged when a pot falls as the holder braces them self as a wave passes under the boat? I've been thinking about a counter top job but looking at a hard durable surface material. Thoughts?

6. Justin_NSA

Justin_NSA

Joined Jul 7, 2004
    3,478 posts, 268 likes
    Hunter 30T
    US Wichita, KS
    You could apply a hard polyurethane finish over it. I will be interested to see how you secure the drawer. When the sailing gets sporty, everything below starts moving :eek:

7. Spooled Again

Spooled Again

Joined Dec 27, 2012
    292 posts, 19 likes
    US Somers Point
    The countertop was kind of an experiment for me. I sealed it with epoxy. It was the first time I used epoxy. It provides a thick durable protective coat. I've read online that it is vulnerable to UV. I don't think that would be a problem since its in the cabin.

As far as securing the sliding drawer. I'm thinking about drilling a hole for a removable wooden dowel. The dowel could be used as a stop. The drawer doesn't slide very easily so I may wait and see if it's needed. I only use the stove when anchored or at the dock. It normally gets used to heat water or cook breakfast.

8. CloudDiver

CloudDiver

Joined Sep 8, 2014
    2,159 posts, 229 likes
    Catalina 22 Swing Keel
    US San Diego San Diego
    Very good looking work! The epoxy will eventually yellow from UV, even in the interior (however it will take longer). It looks like you haven't bedded down the sink or faucet yet, so here is a good way to add UV protection and keep the same look; Lightly sand the epoxy with 120 or 150 grit to dull it out, wipe with a tack cloth. Use Epifanes high gloss varnish to give it some UV protection. You will only need two coats for an interior surface, exterior wood gets a minimum of 6. Its not expensive and even Walmart has it now (at least on their website anyway). Use a good quality brush but you don't need a super expensive one, the varnish has very nice self leveling properties. Keep in mind, it takes months to reach a full hard cure so I'd apply the two coats and let it cure until spring before bedding the sink and faucet.
    Good luck with the locking mechanism on the shelf sliders... its a great idea and I'm sure everyone here has their fingers crossed that you will get it sorted out. Again, great work.

9. Brian S

Brian S

Joined Nov 9, 2012
    2,182 posts, 110 likes
    Oday 192
    US Lake Nockamixon
    Make sure your epoxy cures for at least a week, 2 weeks better, before varnishing or painting. Clean well with scotchbrite pad and soapy water to remove any potential amine blush. Amine blush will prevent your varnish hardening. I tried to use a good quality badger hair brush for brightwork, but I found I could never get it clean, and then next coat would get little flakes of varnish that break off the bristles. I've since become a heretic and moved on to good quality foam brushes from Jamestown Distributors. I feel they allow me better control over how much varnish I lay down, which helps reduce drips and sags, which is not as much a concern for a flat countertop. And when I'm done with a coat, I don't have to try to clean the brush.

10. GregL564

GregL564

Joined Apr 4, 2013
    78 posts, 7 likes
    O'day 240
    US NY, NY (City Island)
    Nice!! Can I ask... is that the original sink, or did you find a replacement? I don't think I'll be replacing the countertop anytime soon, but my original sink has a lot of pits and rust stains and I haven't been able to locate a replacement that would fit in the existing cutout.

Winter project for my 240 is a tiller pilot... will let you know how that goes.

11. Spooled Again

Spooled Again

Joined Dec 27, 2012
    292 posts, 19 likes
    US Somers Point
    Sorry Greg, it's the original sink.

I would love to have an auto tiller. Let me know how it works out for you.

12. Brian S

Brian S

Joined Nov 9, 2012
    2,182 posts, 110 likes
    Oday 192
    US Lake Nockamixon
    With regards to tiller pilots, I hear that for smaller boats, it's best to go with the Raymarine ST2000, though you might think the ST1000. (I think it was the Raymarines.) The reason is that the ST2000 is stronger and faster actuating, which isn't a bad thing.

GregL564 likes this.
  13. GregL564

GregL564

Joined Apr 4, 2013
    78 posts, 7 likes
    O'day 240
    US NY, NY (City Island)
    I actually went for a Simrad TP-10 because I was able to get a good deal on a used one. Will let you know how it goes.

14. Brian S

Brian S

Joined Nov 9, 2012
    2,182 posts, 110 likes
    Oday 192
    US Lake Nockamixon
    My comments regarding upping to the next level tillerpilot might apply to Simrad, not Raymarines. A working used unit at lower cost trumps theoretical debates on which model is better! :D:D:D

GregL564 likes this.
  15. Ward H

Ward H

Joined Nov 7, 2011
    1,370 posts, 64 likes
    Oday 25
    US Barnegat, NJ
    Brian, your comment on upping to the ST2000 is correct and yes, it is Raymarine who has the ST1000 and ST2000.
    I do agree a good deal on a used one over rules and discussion on which is better.

GregL564 likes this.
  16. Spooled Again

Spooled Again

Joined Dec 27, 2012
    292 posts, 19 likes
    US Somers Point
    I'm finally done with the interior woodwork for the season. I just made a new table and installed it. Know I'm finally working on the outside. Another month before splashing in.

Attached Files:

GregL564 likes this.
  17. GregL564

GregL564

Joined Apr 4, 2013
    78 posts, 7 likes
    O'day 240
    US NY, NY (City Island)
    Just the usual waxing/detailing or planning anything major for the outside?

18. Spooled Again

Spooled Again

Joined Dec 27, 2012
    292 posts, 19 likes
    US Somers Point
    Hello Greg, the normal compound, polish and wax. I just got done replacing the monstrous port side plexi window. The one on it had a few cracks and started leaking last season. The new one looks so good I feel As though I should replace the other. Maybe next year.

GregL564 likes this.
  19. GregL564

GregL564

Joined Apr 4, 2013
    78 posts, 7 likes
    O'day 240
    US NY, NY (City Island)
    Setting the standard for the rest of the 240 fleet, Mark! Take a few more pics when it's in the water... would love to see how it looks.

20. WayneCatt

WayneCatt

Joined Jan 22, 2009
    12 posts, 2 likes
    O'day 240
    US Muskegon
    Someone ahead of me apparently gutted out the cabinets of my O240 and replaced with real wood. Or was there an upgrade offered??

image.jpeg

GregL564 likes this.

Stainless documentation placard
Who said a documentation placard cant be beautiful? Brushed stainless with laser-fused numerals.
Ready-made sheets and halyards
Now faster than ever, our calculator tells you what sizes you need.
Leaky Lewmar ports?
Start by replacing lens gaskets in stock now
20% OFF innovative boat clips!
FixClip holds laundry, tools, anything to rails and life lines even in strong winds.