Wing Keel Trailer Support

Jul 6, 2017
Catalina 22 MKII Providence RI
I have done a bunch of work on the rusty trailer that came with my boat. The keel support
Seems like it was metal, but rusted away so I had nothing. I am using 2X lumber. How do most people secure it to the trailer? Also for bunk boards, instead of 2X6 I used 2 layers of 5/4 PT.

Sep 23, 2016
Catalina 22 Jacksonville
Boat looks pretty good. Original trailer looks terrifying. Is that shiny new looking one the same trailer?

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Holy Shnikies!
As a welder, the look of that trailer terrifies me... Luckily I have a good sand blaster locally. Despite the condition of the trailer I think you got a killer deal on the boat! Way better starting condition than mine was, that's for sure.
BTW... I would double up the thickness of the keel support lumber. I think you'll eventually start to see that board begin curl over time. I would just screw down a few pressure treated 2x6 or 2x8 on the keel foot-print.

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
stonybrookpictures,
That's a Trail-Rite C-22 trailer, same trailed my wing keeled C-22 sits on. GREAT trailer, we've towed our C-22 from San Diego to Florida several times, Florida up to the Great Lakes, and a bunch of trips in between. My bunks are 2 X 6's and the keel sits on a piece of 1/4" steel plate between the center cross frame members with a very thin piece of carpet glued on, (I replaced mine with a piece of bathroom carpet). The trailer was C-22 wing keel specific, so with 2 X 6 bunks it would provide the correct 80% loading to the keel sitting on the plate. Keep an eye on the clearance between the axle and the bottom of the plate. I recently went with a set of heavier springs to increase the distance slightly more. The stock 3,500 Lb springs were not quite adequate. The Trail-Rite trailer was the only one that by design tilts the trailer slightly back when the tongue is extended.

Nice job!

Don
C-22 TRAILER 002.JPG

Luckily my Trail-Rite trailer was galvanized from the factory.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2017
Catalina 22 MKII Providence RI
Keel board is 2 layers of 3/4" ply. I had to increase the thickness of the bunks to accommodate the increased height. The bunks have 1" layer of pink foam board under the carpet.