Windows, Deck Salon

Oct 15, 2012
Hunter 41 DS sd
I have a couple windows that are leaking on a Hunter Deck Salon. I have re-bedded windows on a couple of older Hunters (in 80's). These windows are much larger than those back then. I understand the windows are most likely Acrylic and back than Hunter used Dow Corning 795, like Sika 295 (Silicon material) at the factory, but on the new Hunter sailboats they use Sika 295 (Polycarbonate). Is this what is being used today to repair leaking windows and does anyone have some first hand knowledge of re-bedding these Windows and what problems I may run into?

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
Sika is a good product but I like Boat Life LifeSeal (not lifeCaulk). I have rebedded all my hatches and port lights with it and after 20k+ miles offshore still no leak.

dakno

Jun 22, 2009
Hunter 41DS new orleans
You have 2 areas to address, between the Al frame and cabin top (white) and between the Al frame and the lens(black). Start with the white and seal from the ridge line that runs horizontally stem to stern about 1/4 from the bottom edge of the windows with Dow 795 white. If it still leaks after that try "Capt. Tolley's" on the black part

Oct 15, 2012
Hunter 41 DS sd
After looking closer at the window frame, it looks to be a two piece. An AL frame next to the lens and an out one that runs around it next to the fiberglass. What is leaking is the corners on the Len to the AL frame, (just the corners). It happens in a driving rain with wind, not so much if it’s just raining. In a hurry last Fall I put a bead on the lens next to the AL frame which seem to work for a while, but now with heavier rains this Spring the leaks are back.
Questions;
1) Now that I have put silicone on these windows between the len and AL frame can I still use Captain Tolley?
2) If I use Captain Tolley on these can I get them apart?

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Silicone is a bad idea.
It tends to split, whereas 795 (and other polysuphides) will be more pliable