windlass breakers

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
I wired my electric windlass with 2/0 cable, well over spec, from the house bank in the rear to the windlass on the bow. I placed a 200 amp fuse at the battery bank and a 150 amp breaker switch near the windlass. I expected the 150 to trip before the 200 but it did not. The 200 has blown. Why? Nothing else on that fuse.

And of course, I dont have a spare 200 and am not in easy access to a store right now. Considering bypassing the fuse to 'get home'.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
the 150 is probably a slow-blow if it's like mine. Is the 200 the only other fuse between the battery and windlass.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Different fuses and breakers have different profiles for breaking the circuit, some fast, some slow. The Blue Sea Systems website has information on the fuses.

If the cumulative draw on the house bank is greater than 200 amps, it will blow even if the windlass draws much less. Add up all the electrical devices that might have been drawing current, then the surge from the windlass motor kicks in and the 200 amp fuse blows.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
"nothing else on that fuse"

The 200 amp fuse is an MRBF, the 150 amp switch/breaker is a Blue Seas

Last edited:
Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
I wired my electric windlass with 2/0 cable, well over spec, from the house bank in the rear to the windlass on the bow. I placed a 200 amp fuse at the battery bank and a 150 amp breaker switch near the windlass. I expected the 150 to trip before the 200 but it did not. The 200 has blown. Why? Nothing else on that fuse.

And of course, I dont have a spare 200 and am not in easy access to a store right now. Considering bypassing the fuse to 'get home'.
Check for a short somewhere between the fuse and breaker.. A 200A MRBF should not blow before a 150A breaker on a windlass. A 200A MRBF can handle about 300A for upwards of 100 seconds or more. if you were in there with a wrench a fuse at the battery end could easily have been fried and you may never even know you arced a wrench..

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
Check for a short somewhere between the fuse and breaker.. A 200A MRBF should not blow before a 150A breaker on a windlass. A 200A MRBF can handle about 300A for upwards of 100 seconds or more.
40 foot run buried in the bilges. Crap.

Feb 6, 1998
40 foot run buried in the bilges. Crap.
If you bypass it touch the lug lightly to the busbar and if it sparks you probably have a short. If it starts to get warm, with light pressure to the busbar, and no load, you definitely have a short. Hopefully not and hopefully something just temporarily rubbed a terminal. Some of the terminals in these windlass are so close together it is not only ridiculous but it can also be dangerous. I often have to trim lugs narrower to even get terminal boots on between the lugs. You do have terminals boots on the windlass and contactor..??.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
Jumped from the buss bar to the positive wire with a screwdriver and zero spark. How long should I hold that to see if it warms up?

no boots

Lofrans Tigress windlass

The Blue Seas 150 amp switch is about one foot from the contactor. If there was a short at the contactor or in the windlass, wouldnt the blue seas trip first?

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
In where with a wrench? The windlass worked about a week ago and I have not had a wrench near the buss bar, it is covered so just about impossible to touch it. The MRBF was up against another MRBF on the next lug.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
If you have short between the battery fuse and the windlass, you can generate a lot of heat without tripping the breaker. I was warned when I suggested locating a battery nearer the windlass that that the line TO the bow can turn into a heating element that will get VERY hot without blowing a fuse. It becomes a linear heating element.

You should see no current when the windlass is not engaged.

The safe situation is to keep the windlass circuit OFF as close to the batttery as possible when you don't need it.

If the wire wasn't tinned, (especially non-marine or normal welding cables) they can get corroded because the insulation is not air inpermiable. Then there is resistance in the cable. The smaller the diameter of the cable, the more likely that a "skimming" of corrosion will degrade the capacity (surface area vs. cross section)

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
New install with Anchor 2/0 cable bought from MS, so corrosion should not be an issue.

I did get one spark when using a screw driver to connect buss pos to the windlass pos but cant get it to repeat.

MS, IIRC you suggested I could run the neg to the engine block. So negs are as follows...
Alt neg is 1' of 1/0 wire to the engine block
House neg is 1/0 cable on a stud on the starter with a run to the house buss of about 15'
Windlass neg is 2/0 to the same stud on the starter

Thanks

Feb 9, 2015
Ericson E-34 Lk Champlain
Check for a short somewhere between the fuse and breaker.. A 200A MRBF should not blow before a 150A breaker on a windlass. A 200A MRBF can handle about 300A for upwards of 100 seconds or more. if you were in there with a wrench a fuse at the battery end could easily have been fried and you may never even know you arced a wrench..
h

MS is correct, that 200 amp will usually handle 300 amps for 100 seconds when new, HOWEVER, the fuse damage curve at 150% is at 2 seconds so if this fuse has seen currents of 300 amps in the past for >2 seconds it may no longer hold that current for 100 seconds. The breaker mentioned trips between 8 and 10 seconds at 300 amps so there is an overlap. This is a problem.

I would make the fuse 300 Amps. AND, I would always carry spare fuses for all applications.

Feb 6, 1998
New install with Anchor 2/0 cable bought from MS, so corrosion should not be an issue.

I did get one spark when using a screw driver to connect buss pos to the windlass pos but cant get it to repeat.

MS, IIRC you suggested I could run the neg to the engine block. So negs are as follows...
Alt neg is 1' of 1/0 wire to the engine block
House neg is 1/0 cable on a stud on the starter with a run to the house buss of about 15'
Windlass neg is 2/0 to the same stud on the starter

Thanks
If you ran the windlass 2/0 to the engine block where it then picks up 1/0 the only issues wold be a bit more volt drop at the windlass motor than if you had 2/0 the entire run. The other issue is the max ampacity of the fuse for 1/0 is lower than it is for 2/0. Still you were well within range with the 200A fuse. You can easily go to 250A or 275A on the fuse but you should not be nuisance tripping a 200A MRBF with that windlass. Where are you guys? I can send you more fuses..

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
I sent an email.
So the problem is still there, somewhere. i have looked for chafe places and cant find any