Wind Speed Indicator

drdanj

Jun 15, 2009
Hunter 290 Channel Islands
I retired and plan to sail more on my Catalina 36 -- example, a coastal cruise this summer, from Channel Islands, CA to San Diego. Knowing wind speed might be useful. But spending four digits to get an indicator at mast top is just beyond means. Are alternatives like handhelds or those gadgets that attach to mobile phones really useful? Even if accurate, does knowing wind speed down at cockpit level really help you make decisions?

I have a 6' stainless steel pole bought for another project that went south. If I could find a mechanical indicator that could be read from a distance (admittedly, such an item might not exist), I could easily mount it on the transom. Would those extra few feet (6' plus the transom height) add anything that would improve the validity of the windspeed reading?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Not really.

Most sailors get very good at estimating true wind speed.. And its why the Beaufort scale was invented.

Those devices only give apparent wind speed, which is not much use.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Hand-held Wind Speed Indicator

I sailed my Pearson 30 for 16 yr--11 in Florida and 5 in So Cal--without a mast top weather station or radar. I had aboard a hand-held WindWizard (below) which I'd break out from time to time to get true wind speed [at deck height] at anchor, or apparent wind speed while sailing. I wouldn't say they're great devices; however, there are digital ones available now which might give better readings, etc. I would advise having one aboard if sailing/anchoring around the northern Channel Islands during the summer. [See my avatar!] True, though, as JD said, you'll know after a short time when it's blowing 12 to 15 kt, versus 15 to 20 kt, etc. Once you leave the northern Channel Islands in summer heading for San Diego sustained wind speeds much greater than 20 kt, certainly 25 kt, are uncommon. So, I wouldn't spend the bucks either to install a weather station for that minimal duty. If the boat I have now did not already have one installed when I purchased it I doubt there'd be one up there now!! [I still have the WindWizard!]

In terms of decision making relative to wind strength while sailing, the boat pretty much "tells you" what to do--shorten sail or not. If you become uncomfortable with the conditions generally there are many places to "duck in" between Channel Islands Harbor and San Diego Bay. The longest [forced] open run is between Oceanside and Mission Bay; I believe about 45-50 n.mi. if you take that route. The open run from Little Scorpion, Santa Cruz Island to Isthmus Cove, Santa Catalina Island is about 65 n.mi., but a stop [slight detour] 25 n.mi. closer, at Santa Barabara Island, is possible.

Attachments

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
I sailed my Pearson 30 for 16 yr--11 in Florida and 5 in So Cal--without a mast top weather station or radar. I had aboard a hand-held WindWizard (below) which I'd break out from time to time to get true wind speed [at deck height] at anchor, or apparent wind speed while sailing. I wouldn't say they're great devices; however, there are digital ones available now which might give better readings, etc. I would advise having one aboard if sailing/anchoring around the northern Channel Islands during the summer. [See my avatar!] True, though, as JD said, you'll know after a short time when it's blowing 12 to 15 kt, versus 15 to 20 kt, etc. Once you leave the northern Channel Islands in summer heading for San Diego sustained wind speeds much greater than 20 kt, certainly 25 kt, are uncommon. So, I wouldn't spend the bucks either to install a weather station for that minimal duty. If the boat I have now did not already have one installed when I purchased it I doubt there'd be one up there now!! [I still have the WindWizard!]

In terms of decision making relative to wind strength while sailing, the boat pretty much "tells you" what to do--shorten sail or not. If you become uncomfortable with the conditions generally there are many places to "duck in" between Channel Islands Harbor and San Diego Bay. The longest [forced] open run is between Oceanside and Mission Bay; I believe about 45-50 n.mi. if you take that route. The open run from Little Scorpion, Santa Cruz Island to Isthmus Cove, Santa Catalina Island is about 65 n.mi., but a stop [slight detour] 25 n.mi. closer, at Santa Barabara Island, is possible.
Maybe I misinterpreted your statement, but Oceanside is only about 28 nm. from Mission Bay, not 45-50.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Maybe I misinterpreted your statement, but Oceanside is only about 28 nm. from Mission Bay, not 45-50.
Stand corrected. Must have been thinking Dana Pt. to Mission Bay if stopping at Oceanside; been several years since last making that trip! Thanks. KG

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
I drive my brother crazy when he sails with me. I'll look at the chop on the water and guess the wind speed fairly accurately. When I look aloft at the vanes spinning I can usually give him the exact speed. It's a nice tool to have, but the the rule of thumb usually works for determining if it is reefing time.... Thumbs up, sails up. Down and you reef.

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter Legend 35 Fairfield, CT
we use a hand-held Kestrel 1000 wind meter, and it has been a nice gadget to have in the cockpit. Of course, it does not help with direction nor measuring true wind... I have looked into portable (backyard) weather stations that show wind direction, humidity, air pressure, and more in the $150 - $200 range. My concern is that they will not stand-up to marine conditions... but that is just a hypothetical opinion... Has anyone tried these on their boat?