Wind generator blades

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Hi cruising pals,

Do the blades on a wind generator need replacement on a regular basis? We have the original blades, black, and I was wondering when they would expire. Are the blue blades that much better?

All U Get

image.jpg

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
It looks like you have the Air-X 400, just like mine. Air-X recommends 5 year replacement schedule for an unknown reason.
I replaced my blades about 7 years- just because. I promptly had one new blade break and after I returned them the company said it was due to a bird strike- not covered by warrantee.
Well, I did not find a dead bird, feathers, blood, or any other evidence of a bird strike, but the bottom line was I had to buy another set of blades. Left a bad taste in my mouth.
If I ever buy another set, it won't be from Air-X. There are at least two other suppliers. One is half the cost of Air-X and the other is a European supplier who claims that his blade are virtually silent. But they cost 3X the price of Air-X. I think they are the blue ones to which you refer.
I don't know if the blades degrade due to UV, or why they need replacement. Maybe someone else has the answer.
But I will add that if any of these blades fail (and I do have some used spares) I will be very tempted to ditch the Air-X and install solar. When I installed the Air-X, solar was not as efficient nor as inexpensive as it is today,

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Any composite material will eventually fall victim to UV. You should be able to give them a visual inspection, flex them and listen for the sounds of cracking.
The bird strike excuse is just bad business :kick:, even if they really thought that was true.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
yeah that. Do any come with a cage like a fan or would you lose style points?

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
my blue blades on my air breeze are around 4 years old. i see no signs of deterioration. the blue blades are quieter than the old stock blades but not extremely different. vibration into the hull is still there. i have changed bearings twice on my unit in 6 years, that helped more than a blade change

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
snip

But I will add that if any of these blades fail (and I do have some used spares) I will be very tempted to ditch the Air-X and install solar. When I installed the Air-X, solar was not as efficient nor as inexpensive as it is today,
I've had solar since 2001 but never had wind. Solar is silent and works well when there's high sun, but not so much when the sun is low or it's night/overcast. I think wind would complement solar, as it would work overnight and in overcast (when the wind blows). Sometimes I consider adding it, but I don't know how I'd feel about the vibration and noise.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
I hate my wind gen 9 months out of the year, often leave it off and solar kicks battery booty. But...in Dec, Jan, Feb when the days are shortest, the clouds are most common and winds are up; then the wind gen pays off. At night sometimes I can switch it off if the noise/vibration is too much. The switch is right next to the bed.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Actually I don't object to the Air-X blade noise. It is certainly quieter than the generator, but that is an unfair comparison. The only times I have shut it down is when the wind is really screaming and the unit goes into brake mode. That rarely happens. But quieter is always better. I have several sailing friends that have a couple of 135W panels and in the summer in the NE, these power everything quietly. Including refrigeration during the week on a mooring. I am a bit jealous.

Oct 2, 2008
So there isn’t a nondestructive test for determining if the blades are soon to be retired? I just wonder how close in equal weight these blades are since balance is so important.

All U Get

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Vertical generators have some advantages over horizontal propeller style generators. They don't have to swing with the wind so there is no gyroscopic torquing when the wind shifts, they don't fly apart as easily when the wind gets higher, so they don't have to break at most wind speeds. They are generally quieter.
And some might argue, better looking.

Vertical turbines are the more common style in Europe.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 2, 2008
Just went to MarineBeam’s site and they offer single blades.

All U Get

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
yeah that. Weight and drag should be kept lower. I can't imagine this setup not affecting handling.
Yeah, that particular setup does look like an air flow issue for the main. But imagine it on a stern mounted pole like the propeller style or hoisted on a halyard when at anchor. That could work where horizontal turbines wouldn't be able to do that. It also doesn't need to be vertical. Attach the top to the main halyard and the bottom to a stern cleat, should work just as well. Wind direction does start to make a difference, though.
The first unit I posted a picture of could even be designed collapsible for easy storage.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Aug 27, 2015
Cal 2-46 Whitianga. New Zealand
We have a Superwind 350, mounted on top of our mizzen. Zero noise, maybe a minor hum if it is blowing, and then only at night when we are sleeping in the aft cabin. Zero vibration, even if you hold your hand on the mizzen mast. I have been on many boats and with many wind generators, and this unit is unquestionably the quietest and no vibration. It is rated at putting out 350 watts. Ours is 12 volt. But I have never seen 30 amps on the meter, and this would be because our batteries never get low enough for the charge rate to get up. We also have two 135 watt solar panels, each with its own MPPT regulator, Victron, so that also means we don't get low battery. Last trip to Tonga and back we never got below 80% battery capacity. When sailing with all systems running including autopilot we never get into negative amps territory.
Been using this superwind now since 2012 wit nil issues.

Only complaint I have is the voltage regulator makes a small squeal noise when the batteries are packed full.

Pete