Winch Size

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Im purchasing winches using the WM BOGO. My current one are standard Lewmar 40s 2 speed for the genoa 130. Looking at the chart it calls for 30s up to 40s.

I ordered 2 speed 30 STs. My thought process is on the 40s 1- I never use the "lower gear" 2- I'm always using the ratchet function due to clearance and functionality while tailing with my other hand. Going smaller I'll obviously look mechanical advantage but it will allow two handed functionality of needed and I have the lower gear if the going gets really rough. Additionally i can go with a longer handle.

Thoughts?

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
Hey Mike, have you confirmed the base of the 30’s will fit into the holes for the 40’s? Or are you expecting to completely redo the existing mounts? I too am gonna purchase some WM ST Lewmars for the H30C. Yes, we also ratchet the final tugs on the jib sheets with one hand while keeping the friction on the sheet to the barrel with the other hand.

Dec 28, 2015
Hey Mike, have you confirmed the base of the 30’s will fit into the holes for the 40’s? Or are you expecting to completely redo the existing mounts? I too am gonna purchase some WM ST Lewmars for the H30C. Yes, we also ratchet the final tugs on the jib sheets with one hand while keeping the friction on the sheet to the barrel with the other hand.
I haven't and assume they will not. Not a big fix. Let me know if you find different.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
It only costs $90 more per unit for the 40's.... For that reason alone I'd go for the larger ones. The larger drum will allow a bit faster recovery. and more power when manually stripping instead of grinding.

The issue with ratcheting a self tailer is that you will use both gears all the time... with a standard winch you can "feather" the tailing on the big gear so you can ratchet just the low one. When you[re making small adjustments, for instance. That's essentially what you've been doing up to now... only feathering the small gear instead... However, no matter what you do...don't remove the existing cleat. since it's faster to secure when you're doing a lot of tacking.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2015
Finished installing my Lewmar 40st x2 the other day after almost 6 weeks of backorder. The bolt patterns do not line up. I ended up filling in the originals with thickened epoxy and the drilling. Had them out for the first time and it was blowing just under 30 with 2 reefs in.
It's going to take a little practice but I'm looking what I'm seeing.