Winch Maintenance

Jul 25, 2016
Catalina 22 Sacramento
Hey Gang, I disassembled and cleaned up my port side winch this weekend. However.....I'm having trouble putting it all back together. The winch has 20 "rolling pins" (that's a technical, ya know) that are held in place by a thin wire. Then winch body/housing (another technical term...) has to fit back over these pins. I don't think the wire serves any purpose expect to hold these pins in place until the winch body is installed. Once the body is back in place, it looks like these pins act as bearing races on the top and bottom of the winch body. There is nothing in the middle of the winch body that comes in contact with the pins. The trouble I am having is to get the housing to fit back over these pins. I need just a little more room. Arrgghh! However, they may seat better with some grease to hold them in place. That little wire ring doesn't have enough holding strength to keep the pins securely in place. So far I have just dry-fitted them in place to see how it all goes back together. I have some pic attached and will post another pic tonight to show how tight the clearance is on the what I am calling the housing.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Kevin

Attachments