Registered users don't see ads

What's going on with Marlow-Hunter?

Discussion in 'Lake Ontario Hunter Sailing Assoc.' started by Maurice Doran, Oct 13, 2016. Add this thread to a FAQ

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Rick486

Rick486

Joined Oct 1, 2007
    658 posts, 38 likes
    Hunter 44DS
    US Pt. Judith
    Agree completely. It's tough in a big company to convince management that it's important to be at the shows I guess.

2. Jackdaw

Jackdaw

Joined Nov 8, 2010
    6,766 posts, 959 likes
    Beneteau First 36.7 & 260
    US Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
    If Hunter 'management' does not know what is important to Hunter, then they are totally screwed. I'm assuming there is something that has become suddenly more important. Like cash flow.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  3. Justin_NSA

Justin_NSA

Joined Jul 7, 2004
    3,645 posts, 290 likes
    Hunter 30T
    US Wichita, KS
    I had a similar experience in the 80's. I wanted to buy a new car (insert boat here) and someone not to be named kept saying 'you don't want to do that, the economy is going to tank". Well it never did, and I didn't get my car.

4. Benny17441

Benny17441

Joined May 24, 2004
    4,999 posts, 219 likes
    CC 30
    US South Florida
    If Hunter cannot get it's local dealers to move a couple of boats to the show for a couple of days the problem they have is with the dealers. If they cannot afford the cost of showing the boats then they are in the wrong business.

5. FastOlson

FastOlson

Joined Apr 8, 2010
    784 posts, 32 likes
    Ericson Yachts Olson 34
    US Portland, OR Portland OR
    Once a company grows to a certain level it's hard (at least physiologically) for them to scale down. I recall that when we ordered up our new Ranger 20 in early '76, from a local dealer doing demo's off the back porch of his floating home, part of the sales agreement was that he could display it in a small shopping mall boat show after it arrived. It was fun to see it displayed there, tilted a bit to allow for limited overhead clearance. :)
    When a business grows to the point that they have far-away dealers and banks charging big $ for flooring, things get both riskier and sometimes more profitable.
    Increasing Size of operation can be like a treadmill that keeps increasing its speed all the time... :(

6. dehler25

dehler25

Joined Sep 10, 2012
    141 posts, 4 likes
    Hunter 450
    US Bradenton, Florida
    Interestingly enough that at least one really big dealer all but disappeared about nine years ago due to no capital funding has reemerged as a strong presence again. Inflation is always present in some degree, but I can't think of a single consumable that has increased more than slightly in this decade. Marlow id advertising so perhaps only they know what is up.

7. Steve_Catalina

Steve_Catalina

Joined Apr 1, 2004
    81 posts, 2 likes
    Catalina 34
    US Herring Bay Chesapeake, MD
    If they had a current dealer on the Chesapeake at the time maybe they would have been there.

8. KD3PC

KD3PC

Joined Sep 25, 2008
    1,010 posts, 15 likes
    boatless rainbow
    US Callao, VA
    that is what is odd...Nortons has been THE hunter dealer of the country for years...and now nothing, not a word....

9. Rick D

Rick D

Joined Jun 14, 2008
    6,178 posts, 77 likes
    Hunter Legend 40.5
    US Long Beach, Shoreline Marina, CA
    This may be a case of simple business realignment. In the newest issue of "The Log", a SoCal boating newspaper, a large broker represented in many marinas has a full page advising that they are now the "exclusive" dealer for Marlow Hunter from Santa Barbara south through San Diego. They have all the models shown as well as the Mainship line of trawlers.

Hunter props, shafts, struts, and cutless bearings
Power train parts for most every Hunter model, most in stock for fast shipment.
Hunter faucets and parts
Replacement fixtures, hoses, sprayers, washers, and more.
Cabinet catch for many Hunters
Used on a variety of Hunters from the Legend-era to present. In stock!
Hunter striping decals
Striping in factory colors for most models.