Registered users don't see ads

Whatever it takes

Discussion in 'Ask All Sailors' started by Jackdaw, May 15, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore

Joined Oct 19, 2017
    2,148 posts, 842 likes
    O'Day 19
    US Littleton, NH
    Jackdaw,
    I am a professional trades person. I have worked cabinet making and carpentry in New Hampshire, Boston, Winston-Salem NC, both coasts of Florida, and I can tell you that most professionals go for a "good enough" approach. Efficiency means different things to different people. For some, efficient is doing it fast, for others it is doing it cheap, still others want high resale while beauty is often overlooked as a measure of efficiency, but is what customers want too. I wanted no space for bugs and rodents to nest. At the time, that was what efficient meant to me. It is never just a closet or just a garage, if the customer can ever see it.

- Will (Dragonfly)

2. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore

Joined Oct 19, 2017
    2,148 posts, 842 likes
    O'Day 19
    US Littleton, NH
    Funny how I didn't mention quality as a measure of efficiency. Strength of construction and utility of design are all measures of efficiency from one perspective or another.

In mathematics, there are formulas or equations that work and there are those that are considered 'eloquent', meaning, they utilize the least number of steps to get the perfect results with absolute logic.
    I try to go for eloquent, but often settle for good enough.

- Will (Dragonfly)

agprice22 likes this.
  3. agprice22

agprice22

Joined Aug 3, 2012
    1,946 posts, 338 likes
    Performance Cruising Telstar 28
    US Watkins Glen
    “Eloquent” exists in software engineering too! We have a word for the opposite: a kluge. Pronounced: kloooj. It means a poorly designed and poorly executed solution or a stop-gap, quick fix.
    On the otherhand, companies will complain if you “GoldPlate” your software. It means to go to extreme lengths for the perfect solution, creating new libraries, interfaces, databases, etc in order to implement your solution. Many companies want you to use “BoilerPlate” to cut costs. It means to keep the solution simple, reuse solutions where possible, and make it easy to maintain.

So these concepts exist in many professions.

Will Gilmore and jssailem like this.
  4. vizwhiz

vizwhiz

Joined Aug 7, 2011
    496 posts, 18 likes
    MacGregor 26S
    US Lakeland, FL
    If you think about it, the whole MacGregor sailboat is a similar exercise in efficiency of build, just enough but not too much of anything, with a touch of beauty in the lines.

MisterR6 likes this.

NEW, updated Get Rid of Boat Odors
The bible of marine toilets and plumbing, expanded and updated for 2016!
Gray ports and parts
The most popular port on boats built from the 70s into the 90s.
Sunbrella lifesling covers
Any color, fits over existing bag to match your existing canvas.
Turn any toilet into a Raritan for a fraction of the cost
The Raritan LBA matches your existing bowl with the pump/plumbing of a PHII or PHC. save!