What the heck electric...

May 21, 2013
Hunter 410 Stuart
Hi all!
I'm asking for your help again. And it's about electric installations again.
Here is what keeps me from liking my boat:

I have a 1999, Hunter 410. Some two years ago, I did replace the starter battery (1 flooded group 27), the house battery bank (4 x 6 VDC flooded golf cart batteries as recommended by MainSail) and I did install a new 60 Amp Sterling Power battery charger including a charger monitor.

The boat sits on the dry for most of the year, plugged in on the power cord and the battery charger is always on. From time to time, the batteries are checked, and destilled water iss added as required.

I turned back to the boat yesterday, to do more work on it. Everthing seemed to be fine, until I forgot to turn off the radio when I left for the day. The next morning, I realized, that I could not turn the radio back on. The batteries showed 11.56 volts, when measured. So I checked whether the charger was not on, but it was. After many thougts and words, I found out, that the 60 A inline fuse in the positive cable from the charger to the house bank was shot. The same fuse for the starter battery was still fine. So I took the fuse from the starter battery cable and inserted it in to the cable for the house bank. When I turned the charger back on, it threw out 61.4 Amps at 13.4 volts. As expected. So I continued with the other work. Some two hours later, I wondered, whether the radio could play again. To my surprise, the charger was in conditionning mode with 0 Amps and 13.4 volts. That was way to quick to charge this bank.
None of the instruments could be turned on. So I started my research today. Fuse of the battery bank at the battery switch is 60A and fine. Battery switch is fine. Output at the charger is 13.4 volts. But the bank has got only 11.56 volts! It turned out, that the replaced fuse in the cable from the charger to the house bank was shot again!

My first question is, what can cause this fuse to blow again?

Then I also found out, that I do measure 2 to 3 volts at the main breaker 50A at the distribution pannel, when measured at the positv and the negativ stud of the pannel. Now it was clear, why the radio and all the other instruments would not work. So I measured the volts at the positiv cable at the main braker of the pannel, and the negative stud at the house bank- 11.56 volts.

My second question is, why the heck should a negative cable become all of a sudden a problem? Or do I overlook some thing?

I have to mention, that I'm about to remove the generator, and thus I have disconnected the negativ cable at the generators engine, and disconnected the positiv cable at the starter battery switch. But I do not think this could be contributing to the problems.

I would highly appreciate any hints, thoughts and recommendations.

By the way, do you think I can recover the house batteries?

Thank you!

Marco

May 16, 2007
Boatless ! 26 Ottawa, Ontario
Hi Marco, sorry to hear about this. I would use a bit bigger fuse on the battery charger, I think a 60A fuse on a 60A charger is too small.
Do you have a wiring diagram for the boat ? It appears the negative wire from the panel is not connected to the negative battery post. I think on our boat the negative wire from the panel goes to a negative bus below the DC panel and accessed from under the navigation desk.
A wiring diagram would help !
Bob
(How does our boat look ? Dinghy still there ?)

May 21, 2013
Hunter 410 Stuart
Hi Bob
I'll take some pictures of your boat
The cable is connected to the negative bus. But it could that there is something wrong with the conductivity of this cable.
I'll double check the instructions for the charger in regards of the fuse size. I agree that when the charger can throw out 61 to 62 Amp, the 60 A fuse is too small. Maybe it just whent well because the charger never hat to charge the full capacity and thus only ran shortly at a high output.
Marco

Jul 9, 2013
West Wight Potter, Nimble 19,26 Backyard
I had the same problem when I switched from an old 1.5A 15v solar charger to a 5 amp 24v solar panel. I did as the others said, switched to a slighty larger fuse. By battery and boat are smaller than yours.

Battery charged, and radio works, captain happy :)

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
A Sterling PCU 60A should use a 75A fuse, minimum.. This should be right in the manual... In general a fuse that is a minimum of 20% larger than the chargers max current rating is what is used, or larger. The fuse is protecting the wire, not the charger.

May 16, 2007
Boatless ! 26 Ottawa, Ontario
Hi all!
I'm asking for your help again. And it's about electric installations again.
Here is what keeps me from liking my boat:

I have a 1999, Hunter 410. Some two years ago, I did replace the starter battery (1 flooded group 27), the house battery bank (4 x 6 VDC flooded golf cart batteries as recommended by MainSail) and I did install a new 60 Amp Sterling Power battery charger including a charger monitor.

The boat sits on the dry for most of the year, plugged in on the power cord and the battery charger is always on. From time to time, the batteries are checked, and destilled water iss added as required.

I turned back to the boat yesterday,.........

After many thougts and words, I found out, that the 60 A inline fuse in the positive cable from the charger to the house bank was shot.........

None of the instruments could be turned on. So I started my research today. Fuse of the battery bank at the battery switch is 60A and fine. Battery switch is fine. Output at the charger is 13.4 volts.

Marco
Marco, obviously if there is a 60 Amp fuse between the battery bank and the switch and the charger goes to the switch and through this fuse it will need to be increased as well. It's not clear to me if that is the case or not from what you said.

On our boat the battery charger was wired through a fuse then to the selector terminal on the battery switch so the output could be directed to either bank #1 or #2. I moved it to #1, the house bank terminal and installed an echo charger between the house bank and starter battery. There is just the big fuse right at the battery box between the battery bank and the battery switch. They used a 50 Amp breaker between the battery switch and the DC panel if I recall.

I don't understand why the house bank went flat when you just left the radio on over night ? It makes sense if the bank was flat and you turned the charger on the the 60A fuse would burnout. But that happened the next morning right ?

Bob

Last edited:
May 21, 2013
Hunter 410 Stuart
A Sterling PCU 60A should use a 75A fuse, minimum.. This should be right in the manual... In general a fuse that is a minimum of 20% larger than the chargers max current rating is what is used, or larger. The fuse is protecting the wire, not the charger.
Thank you MainSail!
You are right. The manual says exactly to size the fuse 20% larger than the chargers capacity. Only my electrician who prepared the cables for me, did not know that...
Do you can think of any reason why I do not get the 11.56 volts at the main breaker at the pannel?
Marco

May 21, 2013
Hunter 410 Stuart
Bob,
I could figure that the fuse was gone after we returned from our trip to the south. But we did not realize it, because we motored back and the bank got charged by the engine.
So I think the first fuse was shot before I found out about it. Then I changed the fuse and the bank was empty. There the second fuse got shot.
Marco

May 18, 2017
Hunter 44 Changes
I am quite a novice at electrical stuff, but am wanting to learn. My Hunter 44 '06 needs new house batteries. Now that I'm not pressured to buy wants available due to a cruising schedule, I'd like to ask the experts which battery brand would you recommend for my house batteries (3). They are lead acid, 4D Deep Cycle. I currently have Interstate, RC 295; CCA 1000 (although they are not used as starter batteries so I understand the CCA is not as important???) It's used for cruising about twice a year and during the other months docked at a marina as a second "home". Thanks.