What size Jib?

Dug22

Jan 29, 2019
Catalina 22 Vincent Alabama, BSC
My Catalina 22 came with a 130 and a 150 jib. When should I use the 150? How windy should it be or not be?

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
@Dug22 ,

A 150% genoa is only going to ruin your pointing ability upwind in air blowing harder than 10 knots, from my experience. It's complicated, and having hank-on jibs really helps when it comes to these terms, because it's all about your point of sail. My boat is a little different than yours, but from what I've learned, a genoa will give you the edge on a reach-run point, but when it comes time to go close-hauled, that large sail only heels you over, reducing speed. It is because if this reason I am purchasing a brand new 135% genoa from my local sailmaker; they recommended that before I blow another $1700 on a new 150, I consider switching to a smaller sail because of the frequent hard weather we experience here on the Texas coast. That being said, a 150 will definitely give you the advantage in light air, but in any other weather, it doesn't really make too much of a difference. This is, of course, my own opinion. :)

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Do you have inside jib tracks? If so the 150 will still help you point and give you quite a speed boost. It is however harder to manage and blocks a lot of visibility. Many cruisers will add a small pendant on to the base of the sail to raise it over the life lines.
However if your just out sailing for fun and not interested in going fast for a race then fly the 130. The 110 was the standard Jib when the boat was new and the 150 came along later to help increase performance for the racing group. When I am just sailing with family I sail with the 110 (I don't have a 130) as it gives more room on the deck and makes for a much calmer ride.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
My Catalina 22 came with a 130 and a 150 jib. When should I use the 150? How windy should it be or not be?
We use our 150 in winds up to 12 knots or so. It is our least-used sail, because we have a larger 180 for winds below 8-ish. So there is only about a four-knot window in which the 150 is ideal.

FWIW (not really germane to your question), my experience with the C22 is the opposite of that which was mentioned above: the bigger the headsail, the higher we can point - provided the sail is appropriate for the conditions, of course. Your mileage may vary. ;)

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
We use our 150 in winds up to 12 knots or so. It is our least-used sail, because we have a larger 180 for winds below 8-ish. So there is only about a four-knot window in which the 150 is ideal.

FWIW (not really germane to your question), my experience with the C22 is the opposite of that which was mentioned above: the bigger the headsail, the higher we can point - provided the sail is appropriate for the conditions, of course. Your mileage may vary. ;)
If you were to be replacing ALL sails with new and keeping budget in mind what would your choices be for sails? Kind of like a one size fits all choice...
Also slightly off track... where do you store the unused sails?

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
If you were to be replacing ALL sails with new and keeping budget in mind what would your choices be for sails? Kind of like a one size fits all choice...
I replaced my 150 Genoa with a 130 roller furler from Rolly Tasker. Cruising boat, 150 roller seems to spend a lot of time semi-furled. Shortening sail is drama free(ish). Also got a single reefed main.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
That is a really tough question. The answer is entirely dependent on where and how you're using your boat. From what I recall you saying about how windy South Africa is, a 110 and a 75 might be a good starting point.

But in most areas in the US, I would probably start with a 110 and a 150, and then go sailing for a while. For many people, that's all you need. For the rest of us, the question would be, are you more often over powered, or under? Then pick your next sail accordingly. We carry five headsails on board, and we use them all at least occasionally.

'86 - '95 C22's have a ridiculously long berth on the starboard side, so we store our sails in the cavern at the foot of that berth.