What size blocks to buy?

Jun 23, 2017
NorthStar 22 Catalina 22 (under restoration) Lake Red Rock
I almost have a CL16 ready to go. I need to get a halyard and mainsheet for her. Any wisdom on what size and length to buy?
Also need to get blocks for her boom and traveler. Size and brand suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
With out any references you'll be lucky to get general answers.
  1. Main halyard. You need enough line to go up to the top of the mast and return down plus a bit of a tail piece (+3 feet).
  2. Blocks for boom or traveler are based on size of sail. Start a at 2-1 system and increase as sail is greater in size.
  3. Length of main sheet is enough line to allow the boom to swing fully out to the rear spreader, through the blocks and back to the cockpit plus 3-4 feet of tail.
Those are the general ideas. You'll need to provide the measurements.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
APS LTD and Garhauer Marine have very good technical assistance for things like choosing blocks. APS LTD will also suggest line size and maybe even lengths. Garhauer doesn't sell line but they have advised on line size to be sure it matches the block size they have recommended. When I asked them once about a rope clutch once, they told me I should save money and go with a Harken cam cleat.
I also use the Harken web site to choose block and other hardware sizes. They have some tools to help choose what you need.

As for lengths, I would follow John's advice.

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
Catalina 28 mkii 745 Ottawa, Ontario, CA
The main sheet cleat selection will also depend on wether you intend to mount in center of cockpit or on transom. I've seen both arrangements on CL16. I really enjoyed my CL16 for the many years we owned and sailed her. I credit her for making me a better keel boat sailor.