What is this thing and what does it do and where can I get another?

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
What is this thing and what does it do and where can I get another? I just completed a solar panel install our 2006 H41DS Wild Oats. When I was behind the main panel I noticed some discoloration and a crack in this item. Not certain what it is but I want to replace it and I have no clue what it is and where to get a replacement.

Attachments

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
There appears to be a tag on the right side of the part in question with some writing on it. Can you get any information from that?

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
It is a solenoid and I believe it is used in the starting sequence for the main engine.

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Thanks guys I think you got me where I needed to go. Hopefully the color does not indicate something

Continuous Duty Solenoid 12V - Weatherproof
Single Pole, Single Throw

Normally open contacts

One circuit: Off-on

Protect against weather and dirt

Contact terminal 5/16" - 24 thread

Bracket mounting holes 5/16" x 19/32", 2-13/64" on centers

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Suggest you check with Marlowe-Hunter, which will lead you back to this site.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
That is a big solenoid and some major copper wires in that control panel, I wonder what it's job is?

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
battery combiner...engages when engine is on to charge both banks

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
so if you replace it with the same item will it not also crack and discolor? If it is combining the batteries during engine charging it may have to handle some significant currents. What amp rating is the solenoid? Is that enough to handle the charging currents at their maximum? The unit is connected to substantial size cables so I'm thinking undersizing the unit is a bad idea... could start a fire.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
That thing has suffered from a bad connection on the left side (the big copper strap) in the picture.. Loose connection + current = lots of heat.. cracked the terminal.. when ya go back up, clean the connections very well and tighten.. and re-check in 6 months or so ..

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Hi
Ok, this is indeed a battery combiner.
You can get the equivalent on eBay for less than $20
Just look for 200 amp 12volt relay
Actually, now that I think about it, you're better off going with a Blue Seas combiner. Only issue is that it doesn't have same form factor, so you'll need some short #4 cables.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
You can get the exact replacement, per the schematic DayDreamer41 posted, for about $25.

Last edited:

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Thanks all for your input and it was a real education. I found the exact replacement on the Hunter Owners shop, cleaned the contacts and bar and replaced the solenoid. The only reason that I found it was I have just installed a new solar panel and I had to get behind this panel to make the connection. Now the question is what made it do this. Two things come to mind! Earlier this year I had a lightning near miss (EMP) which took out all my instruments and some electrical items. Also a couple of years ago I had a runaway battery. I believe that either of these might be the culprit. I plan on keeping a close eye on it in the future just to see if it happens again. Thanks again for your help and input!

Attachments