What does it cost to ship a 36' boat from Massachusetts to California

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Thanks, John. I hope they read it. They may not realize that we did the trip FROM San Francisco TO British Columbia, which to many is the WRONG WAY Corrigan!!! :)

Anyway, the concepts of Great Lakes/freshwater boats may, just may, have some validity. I understand the concept.

But one may want to think a tad more about condition. And the CARE that the PO (PO's - with an emphasis on SSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!) have to do with what one may be able to find.

I believe in the concept of: water corrodes, saltwater corrodes absolutely.

BUT, if care is taken to maintain systems and details, I find it hard to believe in the basic concept that says a freshwater boat is INHERENTLY better.

I find that to be misguided. Big Time.

Condition, condition, condition.

Geez, folks, I got a 20 year old Xantrex inverter/charger (that I personally installed), a handheld Garmin GPSMap76Cx [NO big-time "chartplotter"!!!], and am working on "getting" radar, AIS and blinkin' diesel HEAT.

Shouldn't I be dead by now?

And if Scott ever bashes a Catalina again, I'll have to put him on my ignore list! BTW, Les' Catalina 36 is older than my Catalina 34. But I've owned mine longer than he has. Trades offs...

My boat is 32 years old, I've owned her (oops, she owns me!) for 20+ of those, and it's still floating in spite of me. :) I just changed the primary fuel filter after 900 hours. HA to all you guys who "need" to do it every 100 hours.

I subscribe to the adage of "Talk about what you've done, NOT what you're planning to do." I'll let you know about how the "TAME 2019 Cruise" turns out. I'm looking forward to meeting Terry Cox and seeing John again on Lopez.

There is an advantage to colder BC waters. Just ask my bottom, if you wanna go there...

I'm on board now, departure early tomorrow morning to meet Les around 1130 in Swartz Bay so I can be another "ferry magnet."

Thanks again, John, for the link about our trip "up."

Sure glad we're here.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
And if Scott ever bashes a Catalina again, I'll have to put him on my ignore list! BTW, Les' Catalina 36 is older than my Catalina 34. But I've owned mine longer than he has. Trades offs...
I really don't know where you got that idea. I put Catalina on my favored list.

If you folks read the thread, you would realize that the poster wants to buy a 36' Catalina for only $40,000. He says he has a picky wife and he complains that the only boats that he has seen are completely trashed.

Well, DUH! He ain't gonna find a nice one for that price and it don't matter where he is going to look. I'll qualify that statement ... if he wants a boat that is over 30 years old and somebody whom has really taken care of her, wants to sell it for a song, he might get lucky! But I don't think so. @Stu Jackson , would you sell yours for $40,000? I think not! I'm sure Les wouldn't, either! The search for a 36' Catalina in ready-to-sail condition for $40,000 is going to be futile, no matter what coast or Great Lake he looks in. The shipping cost doesn't matter. He can go to Florida if he wants to take a look at a $40k boat. For $40K my guess is that he won't like what he sees.

Feb 26, 2004
But I don't think so.
But Scott, that's simply not true.
When I imported my boat last year into Canada, I found comps on my exact year same boat as low as $22 which I used for tax purposes.
I did the research and my own homework. I posted my source that I got from a friend in the P34 thread. $40K is a much more reasonable cost, and I would be hard-pressed to get that for my 1986 boat, which remains in pristine condition.
I think you're off the mark here.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
But Scott, that's simply not true.
When I imported my boat last year into Canada, I found comps on my exact year same boat as low as $22 which I used for tax purposes.
I did the research and my own homework. I posted my source that I got from a friend in the P34 thread. $40K is a much more reasonable cost, and I would be hard-pressed to get that for my 1986 boat, which remains in pristine condition.
I think you're off the mark here.
Since I will NEVER admit that I am off the mark :cool:, I'll present my "alternative facts". Doing a quick search of Catalina 34 that are about 30 years or older, I found in just one source 33 boats that are for sail in the US (model years '86 - '90). The average price was $35,500. While that fits your narrative, this was for Catalina 34 and the poster wants a Catalina 36. He did not state age of boat that he is targeting, but he said he has a "picky" wife. I'll take that to mean that it needs to be relatively newer and pristine condition, generally speaking … not a 30 year-old boat.

While yours is definitely pristine (I'll take your word! :biggrin:), you could not say that it is modern. While the lowest priced '86 model that I saw was $28 K (saw an '87 & '88 at $22.5) the average for '86 was $34.4K (6 boats) and 2 were priced at $39.5K. So, you're right … $40,000 would be about the top of the market for an '86 Catalina 34 (found in Michigan and So.Cal.). We don't need to discuss how you, ahem, cheated the Canadian government. I'm sure you will make it up to them, somehow. :poke: So, as to whether or not you would sell your boat for $40 K? I'll just say that I'll believe it when I see it!

And that's pretty much the point … whether or not the poster can find a Catalina 36, meeting his wife's standard, or, even, in reasonable condition, actually on the market or even a private sale for $40 K … well, I'll just remain highly skeptical, no matter where he looks.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Having just spent two years looking where the Catalina 34 was at the top of my list, I would say Scott's numbers are correct - I would have paid $40K for a pristine 34/36 but I couldn't find one. I probably looked at seven or eight 34's and only one, an '87, "might" have been able to be brought up to pristine for $40K and as you know it would have been $45K. One deterrent was there was an '88 Catalina 34 right next to it in the yard that was pristine, unfortunately it wasn't for sale. Old boats that are in truly excellent condition are rare on the market.

Feb 26, 2004
So, as to whether or not you would sell your boat for $40 K? I'll just say that I'll believe it when I see it!
@Scott T-Bird,
I really appreciate the research you did in trying to prove me wrong.
Except that wasn't my point.
It appears your Reading Comprehension 101 skills could use some work.
What I wrote was:
$40K is a much more reasonable cost, and I would be hard-pressed to get that for my 1986 boat, which remains in pristine condition.
That means I could NOT get that for my boat. Nor would I expect to.
Your jibes about the condition and systems on my boat are also completely unfounded, unrealistic and unappreciated (unless you were trying to be humorous, and believe me that certainly didn't come through).
Your assumptions that the OP "must" be looking at a newer boat is also not germane. dmax spotted that right away.
Hope you have a good season.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2009
Hunter Vision-36 Richmond
So I found an 86 Catalina 36 in charter in Anacortes. She's been repowered, has newer electronics, anchor chain, Electric windlass, she looks great! $35K asking. I'm driving up on Thursday to check her out. There are deals out there.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Good luck! Remember nobody has to buy a sailboat so find the right one.

Panera

Jan 18, 2014
Hunter 280 Portland, ME
I shipped from NY to Maine using
Ship to Shoreline, Inc.
www.shiptoshoreline.com
s2strans@aol.com
Nicky Ehart pres
FL 904 823-3729
954 683 8358 cell
484 335 1801 fax

I was extremely happy with the service. Make sure that they are a true boat hauler and not just a flat bed trucker.