What do I need to have and what should I have on my 170 when I head out on the bay in NJ?

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
@Shorefun here is a radio, GPS, MOB with strobe, Waterproof, Compass all in one by a very reputable manufacturer
https://www.amazon.com/Standard-Horizon-HX870-Floating-Handheld/dp/B00PM6XDNS
A short story,
We were out one afternoon (years ago) on our 22' Viking when an unexpected storm rolled in, it was raining so hard it was tough to see 100' off the bow, in the haze of all that rain I could hear a boat approaching, out of the mist arrives a small fishing boat the operator of this small vessel, yells out, "Which way to the USA" I point him in the direction he should be heading, now remember the visibility is less than 100 yards, and off he goes with his new corrected course. About 45 minutes later, we hear another boat approaching slowly, out of the mist rolls up the same individual asking the very same question, "Which way to the USA", he had gone in a big circle and ended up crossing our path again.
You see things happen which can take away all those familiar land marks that you use for dead reckoning and without them one is completely lost. Say you are out one day and a heavy fog rolls in, what then...... just saying.......

Last edited:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
You use a compass for more than navigation.

Sep 5, 2018
Hunter 170 Northfield, NJ
:) Ugh! (Facing the bow) Sun on left shoulder you are going sort of WEST, sun on right shoulder you are going EAST. The reason for port and starboard vs. right and left is because nautical terms refer to the boat, but L/R refer to YOU.
I think it would be a very good idea to get some lessons. If there is a Powersquadrons course near you, sign up, or seek out a basic sailing course.
I have actually taking a navigation course in college. I also know nav stuff from my job as I fly (in the back) some and have to know where I am during the flight so chart reading is essential. I might be rusty, but but I could plot up a course and shoot bearings along the way. Don't know celestial nav, but could figure it out.

I also have the NJ boater safety course from ages ago (late 90's). The CG used to come into our middle school and teach the basics but this was in the 70's. They figured we were close to the water and likely to be out there. I think they should still do that.

The sun on the shoulders is sort of a joke from days on travel. My boss then did not know direction very good. Was suppose to be heading N during the afternoon and the sun was on the right shoulder. Where I am at the IC is rotated a bit off of N/S.

I joke around a bit in this thread, please do not take me wrong. I am not concerned with getting lost here in the back bays. I know them well enough. They are all small enough with landmarks I know from living here all my life that I am never not able to figure out where I am and how to get where I need to go.

I just need to get out and make my mistakes and learn from them. I have learn to read the water and the wind. I have learn about trimming and balancing the sails. I have the Blue Book of Sailing which gives explanations in ways that work well for me. Oh and I have to learn all the rules of passing other boats on the water and how to best give a finger to all the people who violate the rules. I suspect my finger will be well exercised with the out of town people that come.

I do have an experience older boater that will be going out with me to get me started. He is in his 70's and been boating all his life and has owned larger sailboats.

I am thinking I will need to put a bunch of cameras on the boat to record the adventure. Make up a Youtube channel and maybe get some Paetrons :)

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Or you could just get a compass.... Every boat should have a compass.
I second this. And it's not just for navigation or for low visibility. Want to know if you are pointing - compass. Want to know if the wind is shifting and how much - compass. Want to know if the boat ahead is on a collision course - compass.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
Minimum required safety equipment is listed here -

https://www.usps.org/national/vsc/conductvsc_files/USCGMinReq_2012.pdf

On a small, wet, tippy sailboat like that, I prefer to have a cheap soft sided cooler. You can get insulated bags at Walmart for like $5. They work well enough for a day sail & if you loose it overboard, you just get another.

Also on a small, WET, TIPPY little boat like that, a dry bag or waterproof box is essential if you want to bring your cell phone, wallet, car keys, etc. along for the ride.

On an open transom boat like that, it is a good idea to have tethers on important equipment that you don't want to loose overboard.

A trolling motor pushes that boat well enough, unless you are in heavy conditions, but the battery doesn't last forever. If you are just using the motor to get in & out of docks, then electric is OK. If you want to go miles under power, then you need a gasser. 2hp is overkill. 3hp is a good way to break off the motor mount. Be sure to get a LONG SHAFT motor.

Don't forget the beer. It will help you believe that you are learning to sail faster than you actually are. (lol)

Last edited: