What a flake!

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
One man job. Full-batten main, Tides Marine strongtrack, sail bag with jack-lines. Open the sail bag throat, Center the mainsheet with the traveler, take the halyard off the clutch, once around the winch, back to the wheel. Keep the boat into the wind, drop the main one batten at a time into the bag. Clutch the halyard. Done in 20 seconds.

If we are going back up with sail I leave it as dropped. If we are done for trip I tidy it up and zip the sail bag. Have a cord loop tied to the bag zip that allows me to zip the bag from the mast.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
On my three prior boats (30-44’) I dropped the main. Starting at the head I would work aft on the leach pulling sail aft. When I reached the clue, I would roll it up working fwd and tie on top of the boom as I go . Easy to do single handed and no deep folds in the same place every time. Current boat has a 2yr old main and is quite stiff. I am also getting stiff so this boat has jacks. Also have sunbrella straps between both sides of the cover under the boom for air circulation.

Jun 23, 2013
Beneteau 373 Newport
After many years of racing and some racing/cruising on previous boats, my wife and I became total cruisers. Oh, and the age thing catching up. We opted for two changes; a walk thru stern - great for bringing supplies onboard from the dinghy (vrs up the ladder) AND an in mast furling main with vertical battens along with roller furling genoa. All sail control and stow from the cockpit. Might not be as fast, but we get to destination in time for cocktails.

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
Lazy Jacks for me. Whether solo sailing or with guests, I generally just drop the main, throw on a few sail ties, then neaten it up and put the sail cover on at the dock. If light winds and flat water, sometimes I’ll do the neatening up before going into the harbor.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Question:
I have a lazy bag. Its easy to release the halyard from the cockpit.The main drops easily into the bag and is virtually self flaking except for the last 4 or 5 slugs in the mast track. I don’t like the head end of the sail flogging until I can get onto the cabin top to pull it the rest of the way down. I know gravity vs friction has a lot to do with it, but has anyone come up with an ingenious solution for this?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Timely email from Dutchmar. They will be at the Pacific Sail Show in Richmond. They are offering a sail (sale).

Enjoy the convenience of purchasing online?
10% off Pacific Sail Show discount on Dutchmar.com!
Use Code: dutchrich2019
Code applies to purchases over $20 USD.
Code valid April 1-12.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Question:
I don’t like the head end of the sail flogging until I can get onto the cabin top to pull it the rest of the way down. I know gravity vs friction has a lot to do with it, but has anyone come up with an ingenious solution for this?
Loose the halyard in the cockpit and have someone go to the mast and pull a loop of the halyard down and hook it around one of your mast cleats. Snug the halyard back up in the cockpit. This will pin the head of the sail down and tight.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Question:
I have a lazy bag. Its easy to release the halyard from the cockpit.The main drops easily into the bag and is virtually self flaking except for the last 4 or 5 slugs in the mast track. I don’t like the head end of the sail flogging until I can get onto the cabin top to pull it the rest of the way down. I know gravity vs friction has a lot to do with it, but has anyone come up with an ingenious solution for this?
I'm unfamiliar with your system, but it sounds like the top of the sail doesn't weigh enough to drop all the way into the bag. Would a light bungy help to bunch up that top portion as it drops? The halyard would stretch it out while sailing. Release the halyard and it would bunch up while it came down.
Just thinking on the keyboard here.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It probably is just me, but it seems if you have to send someone out of the cockpit to handle the sail at the mast, then why the expense and mess having the rigging run to the cockpit? Why not simplify and work the sail from the mast?
It probably is me.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
It probably is just me, but it seems if you have to send someone out of the cockpit to handle the sail at the mast, then why the expense and mess having the rigging run to the cockpit? Why not simplify and work the sail from the mast?
It probably is me.
While fixed or one-time tasks (reef tack to horn, etc) are fine to do at the mast, control or adjustable lines should be in the cockpit. Halyards, reefing clews (outhaul) should be adjustable from the safety of the cockpit.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
It probably is me.
Could be the ol' meatloaf story -
A mother is making meatloaf with her teenage daughter; a ritual they’ve been doing together for years. As part of the tradition, the two chefs cut the ends of each side of the meatloaf before putting it in the oven. One day, the teen asks, “Mom, why do we cut the ends off the meatloaf before we put it in the oven?”

Taken by surprise, the mom began to think. She had no good reason, other than that’s how her own mother did it and that was the way she learned. Together, the two called up grandma. “Grandma, why do we cut the ends off each side of the meatloaf before putting it in the oven?” After a brief laugh, the Grandmother admitted that she didn’t know the answer either. It was the way her own mother taught her. Tradition. It turns out her mother was living in a nearby nursing home, so they all went to visit.

Upon hearing the question, the 98-year-old great grandmother roared with laughter. “I have no idea why you are cutting the ends off the meatloaf! I used to do it only because I didn’t have a big enough pan!”​

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
_MG_3884.jpg

some decks are designed such that it is perfectly safe to work and ride outside the cockpit, some ain't I suppose.
Dr. judy's system is spectacular, no doubt!
for me however, maintaining my hollow, handmade, sitka spruce boom means no new screws into that wood EVER! i enjoy operating aeolus as designed back in 66'.
sailing 'old school' is fun too :)

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
You have the sails down. You are motoring up the channel to the slip and the head of the dropped mainsail is flogging in the crosswind. You turn to one of your perpetually helpful, but completely inexperienced crew and ask if they would go to the mast and hook off the halyard. They get to feel like a contributing shipmate and you didn’t have to worry about them doing something stupid. The risk of deck work is measured on a continuum.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
Timely email from Dutchmar. They will be at the Pacific Sail Show in Richmond. They are offering a sail (sale).

Enjoy the convenience of purchasing online?
10% off Pacific Sail Show discount on Dutchmar.com!
Use Code: dutchrich2019
Code applies to purchases over $20 USD.
Code valid April 1-12.
I really like the ease of use of the Dutchman system. It’s amazingly convenient in day to day use.

I sold many of them over the years.

Eddited to remove incorrect info about topping lifts and B&Rrigs!

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
You turn to one of your perpetually helpful, but completely inexperienced crew and ask if they would go to the mast and hook off the halyard.
See, it would be nice if that would run smoothly, but a fifteen year old kid who has only been on a kayak once in a river at their grandparent's house will probably stagger up there, unhook the halyard, panic when the boat pitches and then let go as they yank down on the other end of the line. Halyard gone. Bye bye, halyard. :)

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
Why does a B&R rig, etc. preclude a topping lift?
Well, lots of the newer Hunters have that big shamncy metal arch that crosses over the cockpit and works as the traveler, thus supporting the boom even when the main is down. I'm sure you know this though. Sorry, I know I'm replying to everything ;) this warmer weather has me in a canvas mood.