Wetsanding

Dec 26, 2016
Catalina 22 Boise, idaho
We bought our first boat last year, an amazing 1970. We thought she needed to be repainted until I started reading about removing oxidation and restoring gel coat (we are total novices and are learning as we go). Our boat is heavily oxidized (I think??) and we are following suggested steps of wetsanding (600-1500 grit), compounding, polishing, etc. the results are already AMAZING. Here is my question: how do we know how much wetsanding to do? I keep reading things like "don't oversand or you might go through the gel coat".

How much is too much? If the runoff is still very very milky white are we still just removing oxidation?

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
It will always be white. You've gone too far whe the boat color changes. 600 is very aggressive I started with 800 and only in the worst spots. Then 1000 all over ( be sure and get the 800 grit scratches).

Dec 26, 2016
Catalina 22 Boise, idaho
Thanks Leslie! I think my whole boat is one big "worst spot". It is VERY thick chalky all over. I guess I'm just trying to understand how to know when we've removed the oxidation vs damaging the gel coat. I hope it doesn't seem like a stupid question.

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
Gelcoat is several times thicker than an automotive finish. I've wetsanded many boats and never sanded through the gelcoat. Lots of work but worth the reward.

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
I like the Poli-Glow system. Minimal impact to the gelcoat with amazing results that will last a year or longer. Take a look at their website, it's not snake oil.

Don

Feb 11, 2015
Catalina 22 Lake Jacomo
I disagree with 600 being too aggressive, in fact it may not be aggressive enough to start depending on the condition of your gelcote. The gelcote is thicker than many think, particularly on boats of that age. The gelcote on 70's boats was never as highly polished as they come off the molds these days, so getting down to 1500 is completely unnecessary IMO. This is my boat on the day I picked her up. You can see how heavily oxidized it was. This was even more evident after removing the old name. It also had some deep scratches and gouges that could never be removed by starting with 600.
IMG_0287 (2).JPGIMG_0382.JPG
I started with 220 dry on a random orbit to work out all of the deep scratches, then moved on to 400 wet over the entire hull (on a previous boat the oxidation was so severe that I started with 220). Keep your paper wet the entire time and get a fresh sheet when it feels like it's no longer cutting. You will know when to change grit when a fresh sheet feels like it's no longer cutting. I've heard of people going all the way to 2000 grit but you really don't need to go past 800 to get fantastic results.

Here's what it looked like after wet sanding to 800 and then a scrub down with oxalic acid.
IMG_0391 (2).JPG
Your main objective is to get the color uniform with no blotchiness and no visible sanding marks. Unless you hate yourself, I'd forgo the compounding and waxing. Been down that road more times than I can count and I ain't going back. It looks great for a month and then the elbow grease starts all over again. I used Poli-Glow after all of the wet sanding and here is the result. The best part is I'm getting ready to start my 3rd season with it and it looks as good as it did the day I applied it.
IMG_0380.JPG

Apr 22, 2013
Catalina 22 Cincinnati
+1 on PolyGlow. Put it on last year (6 coats I believe) and still looks great today. Quick application. One kit should do two full applications.

Apr 21, 2015
Catalina 22 Sport #15582 Indianapolis
I have heard that if you use Poly-Glow, then you also need to keep using it on the hull on a regular basis, else the nice glaze that is put on the hull with PG will eventually look like cracked skin. Is this true, or a myth?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I would do the work to restore the gelcoat. Even if it's a little bit at a time. I've used PolyGlow on a previous boat. It's just a coverup and has it's own maintenance needs.

Nov 19, 2008
I have heard that if you use Poly-Glow, then you also need to keep using it on the hull on a regular basis, else the nice glaze that is put on the hull with PG will eventually look like cracked skin. Is this true, or a myth?
Rich, that has not been my experience. Part of the Poly-Glo process involves using their stripper first. You spray it on and use a plastic scrubbing pad. It strips all previous wax, and the Poly-Glo top finish. Then you scrub using their cleaner and oxidation remover. I LOVE it on the hull. It works miracles on the waterline stripe. If someone is experiencing crazing, I would have to say it was an application error for some reason. If you don't clean the hull properly, if you have a mark, the mark will be sealed under the Poly-Glo. The preparation is the hardest part.

I didn't care for it on the cockpit combings or cabin top as it seemed to react with the oils in my hands, or might have been the suntan lotion. But I would get dirty smudges. So I stripped it and use Meguiar's boat wax on the deck, cockpit, and cabin, (not on the non-skid of course).

By the way, their cleaner powder does an unbelievable job on the vinyl rub-rail!

Don
C-22 Poly-Glow 001.jpg
C-22 Poly-Glow 002.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2008
CS 30 Toronto
I like the Poli-Glow system. Minimal impact to the gelcoat with amazing results that will last a year or longer. Take a look at their website, it's not snake oil.

Don
Wait until Polyglow grows yellow. It's a bear to remove and they peels.

Nov 19, 2008
"Wait until Polyglow grows yellow. It's a bear to remove and they peels." "We have several examples of this in our boatyard."
I wouldn't doubt it. Just like anything, requires proper maintenance. Don't recall their directions claiming it will last forever. But then again, the longest I've had it on a my hull before stripping and back to the gel coat and running through the process again has been two years. Maybe neglect played into issues? Or maybe it's the winter temperatures effecting the Poly-Glo where you guys live? My only experience has been with my boat in Southern California, and now Florida, and have not experienced any yellowing or pealing.

Don