Registered users don't see ads

Well that escalated quickly...H22 anchor locker repair

Discussion in 'Mid-Size Boats' started by IDtrucks, May 22, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. IDtrucks

IDtrucks

Joined Apr 5, 2018
    47 posts, 14 likes
    Hunter 22
    LIL NELLIE US Jackson
    Originally I was going to just cut out the old failed caulking in my anchor locker, and re seal it to keep water out of the v birth. However my mood changed to slight frustration when I depressed the wood and water oozed up from the seams. I cant, after going through all the rest of the work on the boat, leave this with a band aid repair. So i was like, eff it no going back now. And began gutting the entire wood base so I can glass in a new piece of marine ply. Thread for others to reference in the future.

MODS: i don’t know why I put this in midsize boats, probably should be smaller boats thanks
    C6740848-B6D6-40EF-81A3-53E1518C83A6.jpeg 4B3E1ABD-3574-458D-8F44-584D35388640.jpeg

BrianRobin likes this.
  2. topcat0399

topcat0399

Joined Aug 22, 2011
    985 posts, 67 likes
    MacGregor Venture V224
    US Cheeseland
    That'll learn ya from going poking around.

Glad to see others share my trials and tribulations that we somehow call pleasure....

3. DayDreamer41

DayDreamer41

Joined Oct 29, 2016
    795 posts, 322 likes
    Hunter 41 DS
    Un Port Huron
    Would it be prudent to replace the wood with a plastic of sufficient strength to take the place of the wood?

jviss likes this.
  4. IDtrucks

IDtrucks

Joined Apr 5, 2018
    47 posts, 14 likes
    Hunter 22
    LIL NELLIE US Jackson
    Like a sheet of UMHW? If it was plywood before I don't see why a good quality ply would not suffice as a replacement as long as it is properly sealed. Whatever the material is, all it does is sit ontop of the glass surface that makes the forward "ceiling" section of the V birth, and provide load disbursement. There are no structural gussets aside from the fiberglass that integrates into the anchor locker

hahahaha, lesson learned, if you poke around, you might find a few extra easter eggs. Is that what it is? Pleasure through pain?
    Someone asked me if i liked sailing, I said I hated sailing but i love fixing sailboats!

5. DayDreamer41

DayDreamer41

Joined Oct 29, 2016
    795 posts, 322 likes
    Hunter 41 DS
    Un Port Huron
    Your boat your decision, chances are you will tire of the boat before the replacement plywood will need to be replaced again.

6. IDtrucks

IDtrucks

Joined Apr 5, 2018
    47 posts, 14 likes
    Hunter 22
    LIL NELLIE US Jackson
    Hopefully you are correct ;) and I’ve moved onto bigger and better boats long before then. I also hope i do this well enough the next owner can enjoy years and years and years of sailing without worry. I’m a fiberglass novice, but I’ll take my time with the prep, fillet and layup to make sure it’s a solid seal

7. IDtrucks

IDtrucks

Joined Apr 5, 2018
    47 posts, 14 likes
    Hunter 22
    LIL NELLIE US Jackson
    With bottom prep mostly done I have moved back to the locker. Slowly making progress cleaning out the tight corners to get it ready for sealant and glass. I’ve located the source of most of the leak issues...the very front of the anchor locker is just a mass of goo, 4200? The wooden base did not cover it, so over time it was able to seep around the edges. My new sheet of ply will go all the way forward and be glassed up and around the drain hole so that this sealant in a glob doesent need to be the sole waterproofing in the locker
    CACA13F0-8865-4579-81DE-D5C72E1E94EA.jpeg B064EE9E-AEED-4F09-A125-E25CED450DCC.jpeg

Whatfiero1 likes this.