Weight of a Catalina 25 w/trailer: how heavy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mark

An offer I can't refuse: a 1979 Catalina 25 w/trailer!! My problem is the boat is in the wilds of Wisconsin; 700 miles away. Can anyone tell me the weight of a Catalina 25 (fin keel) and trailer for towing purposes? I own a Chrysler minivan with a 3.0 litre engine and a frame hitch that I use to tow my pop-up camper, but I'm fairly certain this vessel weighs somewhat more. I'd like to pick up the boat before the snow up there gets too deep, so I need to quickly call in some favors from friends with large trucks. Your input is greatly appreciated. Fair winds, Mark

G

Greg Estep

catalina 25 weight

The catalina 25 with a fin keel, weighs 4550lbs.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
C25 Trailer Weight

Mark Greg is right for the boat. You'll need to add the trailer weight and anything else on the boat, like motor, battery, etc. Try the link below to the C25-250 Association website. Go to the forum. There was a post recently on trailer weights and pulling requirements. The folks at that website are the guys who have everything you'll ever need to know about your new boat. Congratulations & Good luck, you got a great boat. Stu (former owner 1981 C25 #2459 "Capricorn Two")

J

John

Pushing it with a 3.0 Liter

I have a Catalina 22 that weighs in around 2,500 pounds and have towed it with my 1994 Toyota 4Runner, which has a 3.0 Liter V-6. You might be a bit underpowered for hauling a load in the 5,000 pound range.

B

Barry Lenoble

no way!

Hey, Sorry, but your Minivan is NOT going to be able to tow a C25 on a trailer for ANY appreciable distance. A C25 on trailer is probably in the 6000 lb range. Better use a full size pick up or heavy duty SUV. Barry

S

Steve W.

John & Barry are right...

You will fry the notoriously weak transmission in that mini-van. Those transmissions have a terrible reputation in a non-towing situation. Couple of suggestions..borrow full size pickup or van rated to tow 5500+ pounds or rent a U-Haul truck and tow it back with that. Towing is not allowed and voids your insurance on rentals from most car rental companies. god Luck & enjoy your new toy. Steve W.

Status
Not open for further replies.