Weeping water pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 8, 2008
Catalina 309 Stafford
OK Gents,
I have a leaking water pump that is slowly draining my fresh water tank. I have tried to tighten the screws on top of the pump but have had no joy, just slowed down the flow rate. Has anyone out there removed one of these pumps for repair/replacement? The pump is located just aft of the port side bulkhead and forward of the holding tank. I appreciate the advice. Thanks, Charlie

Mar 20, 2007
Catalina 355 Kilmarnock, VA
Yes - I had the same problem. Replaced it with a Shurflo variable speed, which fixed the problem and is a major improvement.

Apr 8, 2008
Catalina 309 Stafford
John,
Was that the same pump or an upgraded pump? I've looked at west marine for the Shurflo pumps and did not see the variable speed pump you mentioned, just the various Aqua King models. Does the pump come with detailed instructions on replacing it and wiring it? I assume you remove the pump using the black fittings on either side of the pump? Did you use plumbers tape on the fittings? Thanks!

Mar 20, 2007
Chaz3536 said:
John,
Was that the same pump or an upgraded pump? When you removed the pump did you unscrew the black fitting on either side of the pump? Thanks!
It's an upgraded pump - variable speed that increases its output automatically according to the amount of flow needed (speeds up when faucet is turned on more, or if more than one is on at a time). It's also much quieter than the old pump, and the flow doesn't pulsate when it is running. New pump is a Shurflo Extreme Sensor 4.0 GPM. The water input and output lines screw onto the pump, although I did a bit of replumbing to add a larger strainer ahead of the pump. The new pump also has a slightly different mounting footprint, so needed new holes drilled.

I'll try to remember to take pictures next time I'm there.

Mar 20, 2007
Oops - missed a couple of your questions. Bought the pump from Defender about a year ago. It was highly rated by Practical Sailor. The instructions are a little sketchy, but it's a very straightforward replacement. Be sure to get heat shrink butt connectors (yellow ones) for the wiring connections. I did useTeflon tape on the threaded connections.

Status
Not open for further replies.