Wednesday is Photo Day

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Great photo Tod. Is that your 17, with a hatch in front of the mast?

Jan 10, 2012
Nordic 40 Harpswell
IMG_0105.JPG
This was from August 2015, rounding Statt Headland on the SW coast of Norway. It's a dangerous headland and boats often give it a berth of a few miles. We happened to round on a smooth day and a seasoned skipper told us we could cut it close. We kept expecting to be headed, otherwise should have been sailing the entire time, as did our friends on another boat who took the picture. I read yesterday that Norway plans to blast a ship tunnel through the headland, so ships don't have to go around it.
View attachment 133954

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Gave my 15 to a new home last year. Great boats. First 17 I have seen with a bow hatch.

Tod

Dec 30, 2010
Montgomery 17 trailered
Gave my 15 to a new home last year. Great boats. First 17 I have seen with a bow hatch.
I've never seen a 17 without a forward hatch. The early models had a flush hatch, which is much harder to see from a distance...

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Great photos! A few years ago, I was exploring some harbors in Scotland. Many of the harbors and the way the locals sail, made me feel very lucky.

This tiny inner harbor is in St. Andrews. It dries out for much of the tide change. In fact, most of the coast for miles out, is shallow at LW. EU boats have adapted. This one has a lifting keel and rudder so like all the boats in this harbor, it takes to the ground pretty well.

How do you think our boats would look in here at low tide?

St Andrews harbor dry 2 (1 of 1).jpg
Boats are smaller and seem to hint at the tough conditions sailors in this area deal with. Many deal with more exposed sailing and few anchorages.

St Andrews harbor dry (1 of 1).jpg
Motor boats, even in the outer harbor, dry at LW.
While I was there, St. Andrews had just completed installing new lock doors to the inner harbor. In fact, they were about to use them for the first time that afternoon, once the inner harbor was full. I guess a fin keel boat could spend the night there these days.
St Andrews harbor new gates (1 of 1).jpg