Wednesday is Photo Day - Spring Has Sprung!

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
The local sailing season has started, if you don't mind the ice.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Is that what they call "Ice Breakup Day".
Yes, Sunday was ice breakup day although not as dramatic as in the Kuskokwim video. In the morning the bay was still pretty much full but by the afternoon it had mostly cleared out and she was able to get out for a sail. The white line in the background is ice, there was still some along the far shore of the bay.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Holey Cow!!!
LOL! I wish my boat was in the water already. It's safer there than up on a trailer where the winds can catch it. We had a couple hobies thrown around a few years back. Didn't have them secured to the earth tiedowns.

John P

Feb 11, 2017
20170402_154208.jpg
Hauled out at Mystic Seaport a couple weeks ago. They are also doing major work on Mayflower II.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
John, Are you in Mystic? It was one of the best weekends we spent any where. Docked inside the museum marina and hung out for a 4th of July weekend.

John P

Feb 11, 2017
Arrived in a car, just day tripping. But I was there a couple times on the boat five or six years ago and loved it.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Arrived in a car, just day tripping. But I was there a couple times on the boat five or six years ago and loved it.
It's a great experience to stay overnight on your boat especially if you have kids old enough to soak up the history. We stayed there when my kids were about 10-12. It was great walking around early morning when the roosters were crowing, before the exhibit opens the gates. We hung out a while with the blacksmith while he was firing up the coals and he was really an interesting guy. One thing he told us is that the reason the old anchors often appear "stringy" or striated is because the iron was impure and prone to corrosion at different rates within the metal.