Weak starting cranks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
I just think the original systems where poorly engineered but that's how they did it. It wouldn't surprise me if boat builders start wiring their boats as Stu and Maine have described. I don't think it would costs any more doing it up front verses the older method seen on our boats. The #4's have to go either way.

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
yeah, maine sail, that's why i use a checklst and get laughs at my club because of it; but, since i alway check the dipstick before starting the engine when i get aboard i averted a big boo boo a few years ago. when the dipstick came up clean twice i elected not to start and found a bilge full of oil. the oil filter had come loose enough.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I just think the original systems where poorly engineered but that's how they did it. It wouldn't surprise me if boat builders start wiring their boats as Stu and Maine have described. I don't think it would costs any more doing it up front verses the older method seen on our boats. The #4's have to go either way.
Here's why:

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4949.msg30101.html#msg30101

They weren't poorly engineered, they were cost effective for builders and that "concept" was, like, 1957 electrical systems for boats! :doh:

Once one started adding electrical goggling accessories and higher output alternators, things had to change and improve.

Oct 16, 2005
Catalina 30 MKIII Mantoloking Shores NJ
Weak crankng power

Well....I checked some of the suggestions....I have upgraded wiring harness, took off eng ground, brushed it up and reattached....can't find starter fuse though. If blown, Wouldn't that not give me any cranking at all?
Baffled
Hal

Feb 26, 2004
Hal, somebody may have taken it out! Follow the wiring harness to the starter solenoid. The color codes for the wiring can be found here: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4548.0.html They should also be in the wiring in your engine manual.

Looks like the red wire from the harness to the starter solenoid quick connect.

Sep 17, 2010
Catalina 30 Anapolis
Scanned all the replies, but didn't see any mention of the wiring harness plug, which most boats have, and which can allow corrosion at the connections. This will increase resistance and reduce current to the starter solenoid. However, if it "clicks" but won't crank, this isn't the problem.

Feb 26, 2004
Scanned all the replies, but didn't see any mention of the wiring harness plug, which most boats have, and which can allow corrosion at the connections. This will increase resistance and reduce current to the starter solenoid. However, if it "clicks" but won't crank, this isn't the problem.
If you read the links in Reply #8, it's there. You're right about the wiring harness connections.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
I don't believe the MK III has connectors in the wiring harness, at least I couldn't find one. I think it a straight run?

Status
Not open for further replies.