We said goodbye to a lovely spot to anchor in 2017.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Deep inside Cabot Cove, beyond the mooring field, there is space for two, maybe three boats to anchor. It’s close to our home so over nearly 20 seasons, we’ve anchored overnight many, many times.

Our favorite spot is all the way in with just over 4 feet(our draft) at LW. This photo is deceiving, at LW we'll only have an inch or two, under the keel. That shallow draft is the reason the spot is so beautiful; the privacy.
Cabot Cove HT anchored (1 of 1).jpg

I know it so well that I’ve placed pins where I have grounded out on e-charts to help me place the anchor.
FullSizeRender 38.jpg

This spring upon entering the cove, I saw someone was in ‘our spot’. Then my heart sank when I realized, a mooring had been set in the spot.
Destination mooring house boat fog (1 of 1).jpg

What’s the difference? When a boat is moored, it’s attached to a permanent fixture. Outside of regulated mooring fields, here in Maine we have what are called ‘destination moorings’. They have no shore access and aren't regulated. The two moorings in the left side of the photo above, are destination moorings that have been there over a decade. They are rarely occupied.

These moorings are set by the owners in open water to be used when the owner happens to be in the area. Whether the mooring is used or not, they permanently hold the space to anchor.

Boat, houseboat, it's all the same when a mooring takes over a spot to anchor.

They (the houseboat) will enjoy a good view. After enjoying many sunrises and sunsets, and rain showers, I know the view well.
Our spot  (1 of 1).jpg

Because it is - was,... so beautiful, the spot was often taken. Fair enough, first come first serve, that's an ancient mariners rule when it comes to an anchorage. I'd try again next time.

I remember finding this out of state boat in the 'spot'. I wasn’t disappointed, I was glad he found such a great spot so far from home. He and his anchor, would be gone in a day or two.
Hinckley B40 sunrise.jpg

Do you have 'destination moorings' in your area?

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
Tom- I've never even SEEN a mooring on the Gulf coast, other than on the west coast of Florida. and in only one place there.

May 31, 2004
Catalina 28 Branford
Wait, so anyone can just plunk down a "destination mooring" outside of any regulated mooring field? No restrictions?

Jan 27, 2016
Ranger 29 Bayside, Maine
They do it in traditional anchorages, several places in Maine. There are a couple at West Cove at Pickering island, Tom Cod Cove at Holbrook harbor has a few State moorings and a bunch of privates. Look what happened at Perry Creek, not much room left to anchor except on the outside. One of my favorites, the Barred islands now has a mooring in the best spot, but it's not a destination mooring, its the homeowner on Big Barred, but he put it that spot (near little Barred) instead of near his dock, I suspect to limit the number of boats anchoring. The first time I saw it, it was empty so I picked it up, and they came out in a boat and yelled indignantly. It was new to me and I assumed it was someone's a destination mooring, which I never feel bad about if they are empty. Pic show Banshee on that mooring (before they came out and yelled.
Banshee_at_barredsm.jpg

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
I'm not sure I understand the concept; I can't help but think that destination moorings should be either free for anybody to pick up, or, as in the case of the a-hole on shore, a situation that justifies monkeywrenching in the form of floating and submerged junk removal.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
They do it in traditional anchorages, several places in Maine. There are a couple at West Cove at Pickering island, Tom Cod Cove at Holbrook harbor has a few State moorings and a bunch of privates. Look what happened at Perry Creek, not much room left to anchor except on the outside. One of my favorites, the Barred islands now has a mooring in the best spot, but it's not a destination mooring, its the homeowner on Big Barred, but he put it that spot (near little Barred) instead of near his dock, I suspect to limit the number of boats anchoring. The first time I saw it, it was empty so I picked it up, and they came out in a boat and yelled indignantly. It was new to me and I assumed it was someone's a destination mooring, which I never feel bad about if they are empty. Pic show Banshee on that mooring (before they came out and yelled. View attachment 141974
The one at the Barred Islands, that's a tough call. Too bad he placed it there (I haven't seen it) but at least he has shore access so it makes some sense. Others, like Perry Creek that you mention, or the ones I show above, have no shore access so are no more entitled to the space than we are.

There's usually a local mooring person you contact that will often set them, I guess.

I'm with you Jim, on using them. I'll pick up a destination mooring with no reservations. In fact when somebody tells, "It's somebody else's property", I tell them I only pick up the ones that say PRIVATE!!

I like a little privacy,... :)

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Wait, so anyone can just plunk down a "destination mooring" outside of any regulated mooring field? No restrictions?
Pretty much the case around here. I don't know if it's legal or illegal. You can't get one set in a regulated mooring field but if you can get somebody to place it anywhere that isn't regulated, and you pay them for the tackle and service, you can hold a spot to anchor, hostage.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Tom,

It's been on my to-do list for a while but I think it is time to start the "Maine Cruisers Alliance" with the main goal of ridding the entire coast of "place holder/destination moorings". It is a despicable practice that is both selfish and arogant.. I would love to start with the town of Harpswell (Gosling Islands and Quahog Bay) and move on from there..

You up for something like this??

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Tom,

It's been on my to-do list for a while but I think it is time to start the "Maine Cruisers Alliance" with the main goal of ridding the entire coast of "place holder/destination moorings". It is a despicable practice that is both selfish and arogant.. I would love to start with the town of Harpswell (Gosling Islands and Quahog Bay) and move on from there..

You up for something like this??
I would be.

We were driving up 295 North of Portland this weekend, I noticed a houseboat out in one of the tidal river waterways along the highway. I don't have a problem with houseboats in Maine, mostly because they have to be hauled for winter. But I couldn't help but think it's the destination mooring that is driving the idea of placing a houseboat anywhere, even taking valuable anchoring space.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
So you are saying that someone just dropped a mooring ball where you normally like to anchor. Do they have their name on the ball? If not, tie up to it. I know that is not right, but...

That is just wrong.

Gene S

Nov 29, 2015
Delphia 37 Tacoma
This is news to me. I thought you had to fill out paperwork or get permits with the CG to do that. What about other states?

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
We see them popping up along the CT shore. There must be 30 of them in the Greenwich Islands, some were put there by yacht clubs, others by private individuals.
I think it's a selfish practice; it's kind of like painting your name on a parking spot on a public road and claiming it's reserved, or putting your own bench in a public park and declaring nobody else can sit there even when you're away.

Feb 6, 1998
My thoughts:

Define Place Holder or Destination Moorings - Eg: A mooring the boat will only reside on at the "destination". Not the boats "primary" mooring access point. A mooring so located where the owner does not have Riparian land owner or boat access rights. Not the boat owners owners primary boat access mooring. A mooring that saves/claims/protects a permanent location and prohibits another boat from using said anchoring location even when the owner is not there. A mooring placed in a traditional "Maine Anchorage" (defined in the Maine Coast Cruising Guide MCCG) that disrupts the swing patterns of the cove or bay.

Define Riparian Rights Moorings - Riparian rights moorings are not in defined and town managed mooring fields such as Falmouth, Camden, Rockport, NE Harbor etc.. Eg: A mooring used by an islander, water front land owner or mainland based boat owner as their primary mooring. These moorings are often located in close proximity to the land owners waterfront access point eg: dock, beach etc.. Riparian moorings in MCCG destination anchorages should be located as close as practicable with regards to draft and weather protection to the owners shore access point as is possible so as not to disrupt the swing of boats at anchor.

Define Riparian Storm Moorings - Islanders and mainland Riparians often place moorings for storm protection in better protected coves. These mooring shall be clearly labeled as such and shall be placed so as not to interrupt anchoring of cruising vessels in MCCG destination anchorages. When an owner of a storm mooring is not using the mooring it shall be first come first served if placed in a Maine Coast Cruising Guide destination anchorage.

Define Cruising Destinations - Any location so listed in the Maine Coast Cruising Guide that is not already a town or Harbor Master managed mooring field.

Work to be Done:

-Form Non-Profit Maine Coast Cruising Alliance
-Attend boat shows to educate public on the destruction of our anchorages due to "place holder moorings"
-Team up with organizations such as Boat US and SSCA to support the cause and utilize their marketing power
-Utilize local yacht clubs to spread the word and to internally discourage members from placing destination moorings
-Gather signatures to disallow the use of "Place Holders" by non-Riparians
-Petition the State of Maine and the ACOE to change laws and to enforce this
-Petition the State for clearer marking of moorings in "destinations" as to what they are for, weight, first come first served etc.
-Focus on the most flagrantly abused locations first; Goslings, Cliff Island, Little Whaleboat, Quahog Bay, Perry Creek, High & Dix, Pulpit Harbor, Long Cove, Harbor Island (Merchant Row), Bold & Devil etc..

Additional Thoughts??

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
What if some of these "place holders" take to their moorings like lobstermen take to their pots? That will get ugly real fast.

Jan 27, 2016
Ranger 29 Bayside, Maine
My thoughts:

Define Place Holder or Destination Moorings - Eg: A mooring the boat will only reside on at the "destination". Not the boats "primary" mooring access point. A mooring so located where the owner does not have Riparian land owner or boat access rights. Not the boat owners owners primary boat access mooring. A mooring that saves/claims/protects a permanent location and prohibits another boat from using said anchoring location even when the owner is not there. A mooring placed in a traditional "Maine Anchorage" (defined in the Maine Coast Cruising Guide MCCG) that disrupts the swing patterns of the cove or bay.

Define Riparian Rights Moorings - Riparian rights moorings are not in defined and town managed mooring fields such as Falmouth, Camden, Rockport, NE Harbor etc.. Eg: A mooring used by an islander, water front land owner or mainland based boat owner as their primary mooring. These moorings are often located in close proximity to the land owners waterfront access point eg: dock, beach etc.. Riparian moorings in MCCG destination anchorages should be located as close as practicable with regards to draft and weather protection to the owners shore access point as is possible so as not to disrupt the swing of boats at anchor.

Define Riparian Storm Moorings - Islanders and mainland Riparians often place moorings for storm protection in better protected coves. These mooring shall be clearly labeled as such and shall be placed so as not to interrupt anchoring of cruising vessels in MCCG destination anchorages. When an owner of a storm mooring is not using the mooring it shall be first come first served if placed in a Maine Coast Cruising Guide destination anchorage.

Define Cruising Destinations - Any location so listed in the Maine Coast Cruising Guide that is not already a town or Harbor Master managed mooring field.

Work to be Done:

-Attend boat shows to educate public on the destruction of our anchorages due to "place holder moorings"
-Team up with organizations such as Boat US and SSCA to support the cause and utilize their marketing power
-Utilize local yacht clubs to spread the word and to internally discourage members from placing destination moorings
-Petition the State for clearer marking of moorings in "destinations" as to what they are for, weight, first come first served etc.
-Focus on the most flagrantly abused locations first; Goslings, Cliff Island, Little Whaleboat, Quahog Bay, Perry Creek, High & Dix, Pulpit Harbor, Long Cove, Harbor Island (Merchant Row), Bold & Devil etc..

Additional Thoughts??
MaineSail
You have obviously put a lot of thought into this, I think you have to go carefully with an effort like this to ensure that you don't get unintended consequences, Also I think the distinction between Storm and destination moorings could get a little blurry in some of the destinations. I do think it is wrong to leave your own mooring in a traditional anchorage, and would support an effort to restrict them.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
I attempt to anchor in many of those places that you have listed. Swing space, as you have mentioned, is now very limited. Many of our fellow boaters simply tie up to any available mooring instead of anchoring. My problem with that approach is that we often leave our boat to go to land. We have a dog. I cannot in good conscience leave my boat unattended on a mooring that belongs to someone else. I support your efforts to correct this travesty.

Feb 6, 1998
MaineSail
You have obviously put a lot of thought into this, I think you have to go carefully with an effort like this to ensure that you don't get unintended consequences, Also I think the distinction between Storm and destination moorings could get a little blurry in some of the destinations. I do think it is wrong to leave your own mooring in a traditional anchorage, and would support an effort to restrict them.
Perry Creek is one of the storm mooring locations I am thinking of specifically. Many of the islanders (both North Haven and Vinalhaven) or Riparian waterfront owners have placed storm moorings there for better protection during storms. I would not want to hold that against them, especially living on an island, but it is unfair to hold that spot for one or two potential days per year and disallow first come first serve use during the other 363 days.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
My thoughts:

All great stuff you've compiled. You've defined much of the problem. Like Jim, I worry how to go about making a difference in the growth or (hopefully) decline of these moorings.

I have the impression that, at least around Penobscot Bay, that somebody 'sort of' regulates these destination moorings. A nearby island harbor master perhaps, or the nearest mooring setting business. Then some are no doubt set by the owners with some sort of tackle.

I put this article out on a couple of local facebook pages to see what reactions it gets. Many of us have friends that own these moorings.

Work to be Done:

Additional Thoughts??