We are leaving in September

• Thread starter James L. Christensen
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

James L. Christensen

We will be leaving in September and heading to the Caribbean in our C-27 Catalina. I have refited the cabinway and installed new plumbing, wireing,updated electronic and a windbugger. We are going to follow the intercostal water way to Florida and then on to the Caribbean. If you have sailed this route before and would like to share your experence, please do so. I am wondering if there are items that you found are needed more then others. Crew (2 adults)

S

steven f.

mosquito netting

If you're going to be in south fla. for any time at all have good netting that will keep out the no-see-up's as well as the mosquito's. The rest is cake if you can keep those blood sucking monsters off your hide.

J

Jim Ewing

Forget the net...

That time of year all the nasty bugs move to the west coast of FL... ;^). I would think on your boat the biggest comfort factor will be 1) a very reliable anchor or three and 2) water storage. You will be out in some nasty s^%t particularly when the cold fronts start coming through the Bahamas (To say nothing of leaving at the peak of hurricane season). Water, particularly down island in the Bahamas can be spotty at times even at $0.30/gal (and not very tasty). Get Mathew Wilson's Bahamas cruising guide. I think he's got the best overview of the Bahamas and then get another for any areas (Abacos, Exumas, etc) you might want a second opinion on. Have a great trip. Jim

J

Jay Eaton

First Hand Info

Check out this site: http://home.swbell.net/lhooks/homeport.html. Once on the site, click on Endless Summer - Part 1 the ICW.

Status
Not open for further replies.