Registered users don't see ads

Water pooling by traveler on H23

Discussion in 'Smaller Boats' started by Volkswatson, Nov 19, 2017. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Volkswatson

Volkswatson

Joined Aug 30, 2016
    32 posts, 0 likes
    Hunter 23
    Okeanos US Tyler
    Hey all, whilst cleaning my new-to-me h23, I noticed there is a lot of pooling in between the traveler and companionway area. While there is a very small drain area on either side of the traveler, it's so slow that a lot of junk collects there.

Has anyone raised or relocated their traveler to help alleviate this issue?

- Ben Watson
    Tyler, Texas

BTW, I am a brand new sailboat owner, and excited to connect with this community!
    IMG_6773.jpg

2. Crazy Dave Condon

Crazy Dave Condon

Joined Jun 8, 2004
    6,143 posts, 433 likes
    -na -NA
    US Anywhere USA
    clean out the leaves and any residue around and under that traveler. When you say a small drain, are you talking about the area at the end of the traveler or under the traveler bar? Clean out and take another photo

3. Volkswatson

Volkswatson

Joined Aug 30, 2016
    32 posts, 0 likes
    Hunter 23
    Okeanos US Tyler
    I have already cleaned it out. Due to the weather, it just filled up with leaves. Yes, the small area near the corner of the seat. It drains, but it is very minimal.
    Is relocating it a bad idea? I'll try to snap cleaner a pic tonight with some water standing to show you what I mean...

4. drewsyntax

drewsyntax

Joined Sep 19, 2017
    28 posts, 3 likes
    hunter 23
    us new hamburg
    I have the same issue on my h23. I "think" there is a small drainage area under the traveler tracks. The previous owner had the same problem and told me to simply dry out that area after "washing" the boat.

That is the only area that collects water on the whole boat from what I can tell.

5. Kermit

Kermit

Joined Jul 31, 2010
    4,247 posts, 1,444 likes
    Hunter 260
    US Lake Murray Sailing Club, SC
    Relocating it will just relocate the same problem. But you’ll have the added bonus of having to deal with extra holes. Or you could buy a gutter guard system.
    https://www.kguard.com/

6. isaksp00

isaksp00

Joined Apr 27, 2010
    865 posts, 41 likes
    Hunter 23
    US Lake Wallenpaupack
    There should be two shallow drainage channels in the glass under the traveler, about 1/4 of the way in from each end. These get clogged with debris, or a previous owner may have put caulk in there. Poke something through. Should help.

7. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore

Joined Oct 19, 2017
    1,894 posts, 728 likes
    O'Day 19
    US Littleton, NH

8. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore

Joined Oct 19, 2017
    1,894 posts, 728 likes
    O'Day 19
    US Littleton, NH
    BTW, welcome to sailboat ownership. I'm sure you'll be happy with your new lifestyle. Just be sure to spend more time sailing than fixing. Get your boat in sailing shape and take her out. You can get the details done anytime. Don't sweat them.
    - Will (Dragonfly)

9. Paladin27

Paladin27

Joined Jul 26, 2010
    131 posts, 8 likes
    Hunter 23
    US South Haven, MI
    I don't have a solution either, but as a fellow H23 owner, I have the same issue. You can see the little "gutter" in your photo that is supposed to drain the water out. But ANY debris gets caught in those gutters (there's one on starboard and one on port). I just wipe that area with a rag pretty much everytime I get on the boat. It's not optimal, but short of raising the traveler, I haven't figured out any easy fix.

10. Jalepeno

Jalepeno

Joined Mar 2, 2008
    397 posts, 26 likes
    Cal 25 mk II
    CA T-Bird Marina, West Vancouver
    I had a 1987 h23 a few years ago and raised the traveler lightly by removing it, counter sink drill the deck holes for butyl tape calk and used fender washers as spacers before reinstalling it. Simple and it worked.

11. Crazy Dave Condon

Crazy Dave Condon

Joined Jun 8, 2004
    6,143 posts, 433 likes
    -na -NA
    US Anywhere USA
    Jalepeno made a good suggestion. Boy my brain failed on this one as I use to that. Thank you sir. It is refreshing good suggestions are coming out from others.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    Will Gilmore likes this.