Water Heater not working

Mar 29, 2011
Beneteau 361 Charlotte,Vt
I have a Seaward Product Hot water tank that isn't heating the water by the engine. The boat is on a mooring so I don't know if it works by shore power. Both the cooling lines from the engine and the return are hot, and even after the engine running for over an hour, the water is not hot. I even tried drawing water direct from the tank through the pressure relief valve and still cold water. Since both engine lines are hot, I'm not thinking there is a blockage in the heat exchange. ?????

Oct 22, 2014
Pearson P303 #221 RockPort Maine
I have a Seaward Product Hot water tank that isn't heating the water by the engine. The boat is on a mooring so I don't know if it works by shore power. Both the cooling lines from the engine and the return are hot, and even after the engine running for over an hour, the water is not hot. I even tried drawing water direct from the tank through the pressure relief valve and still cold water. Since both engine lines are hot, I'm not thinking there is a blockage in the heat exchange. ?????
1. Please read the model # and post on here and engine type-model!
2. Take photo of your connection to your heater and connection coming from the engine
3. Did you install or someone else?
4. Was it working before?
5. Did you make any changes recently to the engine?
6. Is the heater above the engine height?
it's pretty easy to bleed or to check fluid flow. On your engine, you have two houses coming off your engine pump 1 from the pumping side and the other the return. disconnect the return and slowly remove loosen up the hose. if you see the antifreeze coming out then you pretty much have a flow you also may want to use a bucket too. Afterwards, check your fluid level after checking.
Check that you don't have any bends in your hoses and the hoses are going to the heat exchange and not one to heat exchanger and one to the tank.
One check also is to make sure you're not connected to the wrong side of your engine's thermostat. This would mean you have fluid there but it's not flowing because of the thermostat of the engine isn't open yet.
Hope this helps.. Capt .Rob

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Sounds like another case of the connection pipe plastic plug was not removed before hose attachments made.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
My water heater directions says to remove the pressure valve and let it fill until water comes out the valve hole. Reinstall valve.

Oct 22, 2014
Pearson P303 #221 RockPort Maine
My water heater directions says to remove the pressure valve and let it fill until water comes out the valve hole. Reinstall valve.
OR you have a relief valve lever. Just flip open (straight outwards) till you have good flow out of the valve. Also, run your hot water only in the sink to get all air out of lines.